FSA 21B10 - Cam phaser update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IHAVETWO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I HAVE APPOINTMENT FOR NEXT WEEK FOR PHASER REPLACEMENT.WAS TOLD THEY ARE NOW GOING TO REFLASH WTF

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!111111ONEONEONEONELVENELEVEN

Calm down dude - this seems to be the new protol before replacement. They seem to be flashing first, even if you have the rattle, then replace if necessary.

2019 scott

Reaction score
Ford tech one- I received FSA 21N08 on my ford pass this evening. It said reprogram pcm for engine shudder. Can you clarify what exactly this is and is it related to the 21b10 cam phaser reflash?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford tech one- I received FSA 21N08 on my ford pass this evening. It said reprogram pcm for engine shudder. Can you clarify what exactly this is and is it related to the 21b10 cam phaser reflash?
That is only there for people that had 21B10 S2 performed and had a shudder issue afterward. No need to take any action.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My ford app is still showing FSA 21B10 due even though it's been done for a couple of weeks now.

So....I had the very loud rattle sound for no more than 1 sec on 8/10 cold starts and about 2/10 hot/warm starts. I took it to the dealer that does work on a lot of raptors and GT's etc and they've had it for a couple of days. I dropped it off Friday afternoon and I ok'ed for the tech to take it home so she could get some time with it other than at the lot. Did a couple of hot and warm starts and a cold starts. She's saying it wasn't the phasers. It was oil draining from the top of the engine and the sound was noted as the valve train and not the phasers or the waste gates. I have no reason to doubt the tech nor the work and time she put into it. I am picking it up later this morning.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Say what?
pretty sure I covered it above.

So I have had the noise since March or April when I noticed it.

It's been discussed with a couple of dealers and also @FordTechOne . I've listened to every video and audio post on here about the cam phasers and while some were under 1 sec and fast, others where as long as up to 5 secs.

Everyone seemed to chime in that it was the phasers without any real technical knowledge to declare it was indeed the phasers. I'm not saying they are wrong per say, what I am saying is they may not be right. Mine was under 1 sec on startups.

The Service Manager said it was the phasers without hearing it so we came up with a plan to get to the bottom if it so he put is #1 Ford Performance certified tech on it. She's good and had replaced phasers and knows what this issue is but has also said, most of the ones that come in for phasers, are really just mechanical noise of the normal operations on startup.

They tend to keep the car for a few days to verify it but I allowed her to take it for the weekend to get real world experience other than just turning it on in the lot. She was "100% certain" it wasnt the phasers and I have no reason to doubt her. She said it can SEEM louder on colder/humid temps but it's the same operation regardless of temp or location.

With that said, this is my experience and am not saying every sound on start is or isnt the phasers.

My recommendation is to have a dealer or a good tech that knows what the phasers are or aren't doing to check it out.

Listening to the internet isnt a good diagnosis for 80k+ trucks. Quick videos on YouTube isnt that either.

If it's a concern, get it checkout out. otherwise, drive it and enjoy it.

my .02 cents.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
pretty sure I covered it above.

So I have had the noise since March or April when I noticed it.

It's been discussed with a couple of dealers and also @FordTechOne . I've listened to every video and audio post on here about the cam phasers and while some were under 1 sec and fast, others where as long as up to 5 secs.

Everyone seemed to chime in that it was the phasers without any real technical knowledge to declare it was indeed the phasers. I'm not saying they are wrong per say, what I am saying is they may not be right. Mine was under 1 sec on startups.

The Service Manager said it was the phasers without hearing it so we came up with a plan to get to the bottom if it so he put is #1 Ford Performance certified tech on it. She's good and had replaced phasers and knows what this issue is but has also said, most of the ones that come in for phasers, are really just mechanical noise of the normal operations on startup.

They tend to keep the car for a few days to verify it but I allowed her to take it for the weekend to get real world experience other than just turning it on in the lot. She was "100% certain" it wasnt the phasers and I have no reason to doubt her. She said it can SEEM louder on colder/humid temps but it's the same operation regardless of temp or location.

With that said, this is my experience and am not saying every sound on start is or isnt the phasers.

My recommendation is to have a dealer or a good tech that knows what the phasers are or aren't doing to check it out.

Listening to the internet isnt a good diagnosis for 80k+ trucks. Quick videos on YouTube isnt that either.

If it's a concern, get it checkout out. otherwise, drive it and enjoy it.

my .02 cents.
I will note these ecoboost motors are not the quietest or best sounding after a cold start. But a few mins into the warmup they will turn into a smooth sounding sewing machine. At least for my two. So all good.

shank_guru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the waste gate rattle on my 2019 for a few months, dealer is aware. Did the 21N08SB2 in August. Had a very harsh cold start last week, the next day I took a video of the cold start and sent it to my SA. Have appt in two weeks for them to dig into it. Based on the interwebs, the cam phasers will be replaced. My truck is Ford CPO, bought at 14K, have just shy of 52K on the clock.