From oil change to new engine. Maybe the cam phaser?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mario VT

Reaction score
I brought my 2017 raptor to a dealership (NJ) because of a 'change oil' light (I thought they forgot to reset it because I had regular service a few weeks before).
Three weeks later they just told me my truck needs a new engine. What??
They said that one of the pistons is not working.

When I brought it there it was working perfectly, not sure if something happened while it was at the dealership or they just didn't assemble it back the right way and broket it when doing the tests.

Just to add, they 'fixed' the cam phaser sound a few months back (probably six?). Do you think this is related? Have you been in a similar situation?

What should I do now? I don't even know who to contact, the dealership said it will be cover under warranty but not sure how the truck will perform in the future.

Mario

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait...what?

I am having trouble following what you are saying. So you had an oil change reminder that the dealer forgot to reset after an oil change, correct? They then kept your truck for 3 weeks for what reason?

Resetting a maintenance minder has nothing to do with assembling engine internals. Maybe you can provide the Repair Order details from the dealership?

OP
OP
M

Mario VT

Reaction score
Yes, I agree.
What the service agent told me is that when the technician checked the situation, he thought that the problem was not the oil but that some other problem triggered it because they did change the oil and reset the reminder.

One and a half weeks ago, they told me that they were waiting for Ford to send a new sensor, and yesterday, the technician said to me that when he was testing it, he found out there was another issue with a piston and that now they have to change the whole engine.

The latest news is that they are waiting on Ford to approve the engine change.

It seems that talking to them is not going to fix any problem, should I get a lawyer?

Mario

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sumin' ain't coming across right here. Like maybe it was a low oil pressure light and not the change oil reminder?

They are already helping you so why jack it up with a lawyer? You are already going to be without a truck for a while no sense in donating testicles as well!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I agree.
What the service agent told me is that when the technician checked the situation, he thought that the problem was not the oil but that some other problem triggered it because they did change the oil and reset the reminder.

One and a half weeks ago, they told me that they were waiting for Ford to send a new sensor, and yesterday, the technician said to me that when he was testing it, he found out there was another issue with a piston and that now they have to change the whole engine.

The latest news is that they are waiting on Ford to approve the engine change.

It seems that talking to them is not going to fix any problem, should I get a lawyer?

Mario

It sounds like your under warranty, so you have no financial responsibility for the repair unless it is the result of abuse/lack of maintenance, which it doesn't sound like it is. Not sure how a lawyer would help you aside from making your wallet lighter.

Keep us updated on the findings from the dealership.