Door seal fix with surgical tubing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fostercd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hock, this is a Texas thing....lol

fostercd, I fully understand; you get the stuff in, your thinking "simple mod, no problem"...right? is your truck a crew or scab?

Crew Cab. I will say this, even with the hour and half of labor, other than tearing up the seal on the passenger door, it turned out alright. I did noticed some "wind" noise when driving the truck on highways every now and then I hope this eliminates this. I will give a better update when I head to corpus this weekend.

The thing is if I had some practice door seal, or even another ford truck, I would have done that one first to iron out the kinks, then done the raptor. Live and learn.

FAMARO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in Katy, so if your ever in the area and need someone else to mess something up, look me up.
Was the seal and the area you install the tubing like the one in the video?
Is fishing it through the most time consumming?

fostercd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go to Houston every now and then to visit my wifes family. To clarify, I call her my wife but we are getting married in May.

The process I used as exactly like the video. The fishing it through was the bulk of the time. The seal was already molded and curved, so I had to lay it out straight as best I could, and then pull some more tubing. I tried to do the best I could by shackleing the fish tape to to something and pulling the seal while applying lube. The tube would get hung up though in some areas, and it was a real pain to try to figure out where it was catching.

On the driver door, the fish tape came off leaving about 1/3 of the door left. Instead of pulling all the tube and doing it again, I simply made a small incision by the closest eye in the seal by the end and pulled a new tube through there. This was after the passenger door fiasco of course.

I don't know how much weather stripping costs, but I think if I do this to a future vehicle I would buy the weather stripping with as few as kinks as possible and just install new weather stripping with the tubing.

Last edited:

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did this mod today. More gooder!

Here are a couple tips:
-when running the fish tape, have your buddy jiggle the stripping as you fish it in. Mine went in crazy easy that way. I was able to do it totally dry that way in just a couple minutes per side

-before pulling the tape and tube back thru, wrap some electrical tape around the tube and fish tape. You can pull for days that way and the tube isn't coming off.

-pull the tubing thru about 6" further than you think you need. Then jiggle/wiggle things so the tube relaxes in the stripping. Mine stretched like crazy and then when it relaxed almost the whole extra bit receded back into the stripping.

All in all, this was slam dunk easy, quick and made a nice difference. I was able to do the whole job in about 15 minutes with a buddy and with zero lube or soap and water. Thanks for the heads up on this mod!

Last edited:

FAMARO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ha... Funny... well, maybe not to you... he he he

I did this mod today. More gooder!

Here are a couple tips:
-when running the fish tape, have your buddy jiggle the stripping as you fish it in. Mine went in crazy easy that way. I was able to do it totally dry that way in just a couple minutes per side

-before pulling the tape and tube back thru, wrap some electrical tape around the tube and fish tape. You can pull for days that way and the tube isn't coming off.

-pull the tubing thru about a foot further than you think you need. Then jiggle/wiggle things so the tube relaxes in the stripping. Mine stretched like crazy and then when it relaxed almost the whole foot receded back into the stripping.

All in all, this was slam dunk easy, quick and made a nice difference. I was able to do the whole job in about 15 minutes with a buddy and with zero lube or soap and water. Thanks for the tip on this one!

You have a scab? If so, did you run into the same issues as Hock? Im not clear on Hocks post if the seal can be removed due to the soild piece or what? Did you get yours from ebay?

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

fostercd, thanks for the heads up, my mods normally goes like what your mod sounds like...

OP
OP
H

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a scab? If so, did you run into the same issues as Hock? Im not clear on Hocks post if the seal can be removed due to the soild piece or what? Did you get yours from ebay?

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

fostercd, thanks for the heads up, my mods normally goes like what your mod sounds like...

The piece of silicone at the top between the front and rear doors that is permanent is not removable it is inside the piece you are sliding the tube through...

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I have a SCab.

The thing Hock mentioned comes off with the strip; its actually inside the same channel you'll be running the tube thru. While the strip is still installed, ff you look along the roof right where suicide door latches (there's that loop that sticks out?), that's where you'll feel/find the silicone piece Hock mentioned.

When you pull the strip off, that piece comes with it since its inside. You'll end up drawing the tubing from one end of the stripping right up to silicone piece. You'll draw a second piece of tubing from the other end of the strip, up to that end of the silicone piece. You will use two separate pieces of tubing to get the job done for one strip; you wont be able to draw one long length of tube thru the entire piece of stripping because of that silicone bit.

I got my tubing off Amazon. The not-continuous concern didn't bother me at all since I knew some electrical tape could hold the ends together long enough to draw in the parts for install. But that didn't happen in my case since the cut in the tube ended up right around where one of the ends of the stripping was anyway.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

FAMARO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have a SCab.

The thing Hock mentioned comes off with the strip; its actually inside the same channel you'll be running the tube thru. While the strip is still installed, ff you look along the roof right where suicide door latches (there's that loop that sticks out?), that's where you'll feel/find the silicone piece Hock mentioned.

When you pull the strip off, that piece comes with it since its inside. You'll end up drawing the tubing from one end of the stripping right up to silicone piece. You'll draw a second piece of tubing from the other end of the strip, up to that end of the silicone piece. You will use two separate pieces of tubing to get the job done for one strip; you wont be able to draw one long length of tube thru the entire piece of stripping because of that silicone bit.

I got my tubing off Amazon. The not-continuous concern didn't bother me at all since I knew some electrical tape could hold the ends together long enough to draw in the parts for install. But that didn't happen in my case since the cut in the tube ended up right around where one of the ends of the stripping was anyway.

Hope that helps!

yes, that helps, Thanks for the detail.
Sorry Hock, I got confused, which is not real hard to do ( I have to be 10% smarter than the thing Im working on).