Valve Seal cracked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCJeeper

Reaction score
Hey all, I promise I searched and didn’t see any discussion about this issue. I have a 2018 with almost 89k miles. I have what seems to be somewhat common of smoke coming out of the exhaust after idling. I brought it to the dealer and mentioned I thought it could be the turbo seals. They checked each turbo line and and found no evidence of oil.

They then scoped the engine and found oil in one cylinder. Thankfully I’m under warranty and will just have a deductible. Has anyone had their valve seal replaced? I’ve heard this is a pretty labor intensive repair.

OP
OP
NCJeeper

NCJeeper

Reaction score
I know very little about engines and was just stating what the service manager said. He called me today, and said they are waiting on Ford to approve the repair. He mentioned a valve stem leak and oil in the cylinder.

Hopefully will be fixed in the next week or so and I can post the cause.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
I know very little about engines and was just stating what the service manager said. He called me today, and said they are waiting on Ford to approve the repair. He mentioned a valve stem leak and oil in the cylinder.

Hopefully will be fixed in the next week or so and I can post the cause.
Thankfully you aren’t paying for this cause it sounds like a blinker fluid situation.

Also, this is a super talked about subject. Are you SURE it’s not just normal operation as mentioned in the thread about this on the front page?

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the smoke white or blueish white? What does the exhaust smell like? Sweet smell or smell more like oil?

OP
OP
NCJeeper

NCJeeper

Reaction score
Is the smoke white or blueish white? What does the exhaust smell like? Sweet smell or smell more like oil?
Definitely smells like oil.

Dealership called and said they are replacing both heads. They have one in stock and the other will be delivered on Monday. Should have the truck back sometime next week. Ford dragged their feet on paying the bill, but finally agreed to it.