Door seal fix with surgical tubing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

48Willys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baby powder works also.

I agree, I used baby powder when I put tubing in the rear doors of my F350.
I used alcohol when I did the fronts, its extremely slippery when wet but very sticky and frustrating when it dries, (no pun intended, and yes I'm still talking about the door seals))

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Hey SCab owners who've done this... have you noticed a new sort of "rattle"? I use that term loosely since its not really a rattle, but more like what springy tacky rubber might sound like when it taps or moves against other rubber/latex/painted metal?

This may have been obvious to the rest of you, but I didn't catch it until looking around for ways of fixing this new sound. There's a strip mounted to the inside edge of the suicide door, that seals to the main door when both are closed. I'm 99% positive its this strip that the new noise is coming from; now that theres a touch more tension on the outside seals, this inside seal is allowed to be a little looser, and so its freer to move while driving, resulting in a rubber on painted metal sort of clicking.

So to firm that seal back up, I grabbed what was left of my tubing and ran some thru it.
1.jpg
4.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

A 5 minute test says that may have solved the issue. And even if it doesn't the main door closing feels much more solid. I dig it.

I'll report back if the noise isn't gone.

want some annoying door clicks, rattles, whatever, drive a superduty crewcab around! I've done tubing in the door seals, put cloth tape between the door lock rods and where they hit the metal on the door panel, tighten wiring harnesses where they hit, dynamat sound deaden all door panels. :Pshyco: It did stop 99% of the problems, but damn. btw Ford techs "couldn't hear any noises"

FAMARO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got around doing this yesterday. Now, the drivers door does not shut well and is hard to open. It was like it has a lot of pressure on it. I tried to adust it by messing with the door striker, and I made it worst.
I also ripped a small area on the bottom of the rear door (see BigJ photos). The factory trim is thin and it tears easy, so take your time.

RedTailHawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got around doing this yesterday. Now, the drivers door does not shut well and is hard to open. It was like it has a lot of pressure on it. I tried to adust it by messing with the door striker, and I made it worst.
I also ripped a small area on the bottom of the rear door (see BigJ photos). The factory trim is thin and it tears easy, so take your time.

If I had done a write-up after doing this install, it would have been very similar to this. I only did the driver's side (front and rear doors), and wasn't impressed enough to do the other side...

OP
OP
H

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had done a write-up after doing this install, it would have been very similar to this. I only did the driver's side (front and rear doors), and wasn't impressed enough to do the other side...

Sorry you dont like... I love it... My doors feel tight and solid when they are shut now. Zero wind noise and no loose door feeling over bumps. Then need a small amount more energy to shut thats it.

FAMARO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry you dont like... I love it... My doors feel tight and solid when they are shut now. Zero wind noise and no loose door feeling over bumps. Then need a small amount more energy to shut thats it.

No, thanks for the "how to" Hockster, the right side had no issues. I just didnt expect the problem with the left door. then i messed it up more by messing with the door striker.
The strip mounted to the inside edge of the small door didnt look like BigJ's photos. Maybe because mine is an older unit?? At the bottom of mine it was solid, so I had to make a small opening to get it through. The stripping is so thin that it is so easy to tear.....

Rusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like what I have been reading here.
A Friend of mine, has a F250 Screw, says only his drivers door rattles when he go's over
bumps. He went on to say that since he has window vents and truck tires on it's hard
to hear this.

I sent him the link anyway. He will read it and see what he thinks.

I am a little concerned with the last couple of posts for the Scabs....
Hard closing, hard opening, not being able to close the doors proprely.
That sort of thing. ??????

I purchased the amber tubing for $30 with shipping, we will see how things work out
I will keep you posted as to the out come.
Rusty