Door seal fix with surgical tubing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score

CB17

Reaction score
Hey Hock...thanks for pointing out the permanent piece as I attempt this next week, probably would've been going...WTF!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Hock. So the silicone piece stays up there? I'm having a hard time picturing what stays put and what comes off. Any tips?

OP
OP
H

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Hock. So the silicone piece stays up there? I'm having a hard time picturing what stays put and what comes off. Any tips?

Ya, the silicone piece is permanently inside the rubber door seal, it is not removable from the door seal...
You have to remove the door sill piece and then remove the rubber door seal from the truck...
You then find the place where the permanent silicone is and find one of the small vent holes before it to start from. What I did was left the tubing whole, fed it through and then cut off what was left. This way you can make it fit up to the silicone piece.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok thanks again. I'm having a little hard time picturing it, but I think it will all make sense when stuff is apart and I can see it in front of me.

Speaking of which, did you guys go with the lube like in the video? Any reason to not use something like Windex or soap and water instead?

OP
OP
H

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks again. I'm having a little hard time picturing it, but I think it will all make sense when stuff is apart and I can see it in front of me.

Speaking of which, did you guys go with the lube like in the video? Any reason to not use something like Windex or soap and water instead?

I used a soap/water mix... Silicone can make everything black sometimes...
And, as I had stated before, I have only done this mod on my screws and only noticed the doors feeling solid when shutting... But, with this mod on my scab wow!!! What a difference!!! The doors no longer make any noise even when running out in my field...
and, I want to say thanks for yours and other guys write ups. you guys do it is so much better than I do... I never really thought it out whan I do these things I just do em then I think hmm.. I guess I should take pictures and post this... It can be a pain in the ass doing mods yourself, stopping taking pictures, getting frustrated while doing... LOL... So, thanks BigJ Birdman, Ironman and others...

Last edited:

fostercd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ad stated TUBING MAY NOT BE CONTINUOUS... Was yours?

It does look like there is a cut in the tubing so it is not continuous, however I only noticed one. I will attempt to install it either tonight or tomorrow and let you guys know if I encounter any issues.

fostercd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I installed the door tubing tonight.

1. It was not continuous; however there were really no issues with it. When I finished the first two doors, there was about a two foot piece in the middle I removed to finish the other two doors. I even had some wiggle room (about 4 inches) on each side of each door, and had some left over.
2. I messed up with using the fish hook. It came off half way, but was able to fix it by making a small incision to re-hook it.
3. I learned the hard way about #2 on the passenger door. All the other doors are fine, (oddly enough the back driver passenger door is missing about half an inch of door seal) but I tried to pull out the tubing through an eyelet and ripped up about a foot of the door seal. It still works, but I will need to replace the entire door seal sooner or later.
4. make sure you explain the entire process before you start to your wife, otherwise she will get upset and leave you alone to work on the doors. This in turn will cause you to tear up the passenger door.

OP
OP
H

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. I installed the door tubing tonight.

4. make sure you explain the entire process before you start to your wife, otherwise she will get upset and leave you alone to work on the doors. This in turn will cause you to tear up the passenger door.

Ha ha ha... Funny... well, maybe not to you... he he he

FAMARO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ha... Funny... well, maybe not to you... he he he

Hock, this is a Texas thing....lol

fostercd, I fully understand; you get the stuff in, your thinking "simple mod, no problem"...right? is your truck a crew or scab?
I want to do this, but I know my wife will walk off the job too.

Last edited: