CRP stage 4 build (lower than expected power levels)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can make bigger power on 91/93, you just need to go up in Turbo size. The crp won't be big enough, you'll need Borg Warner efr or Garrett G Series kit. Again working of the principle of dropping the back pressure and over all cylinder pressure and making everything more efficient.

Also a whipple 5.0l on 91 octane is probably going to be disappointing as well in the Raptor. They make 600 ish hp and low 500s for torque in a non raptor so it'll probably be high for hundreds for torque and mid 500 horsepower with the Raptor drivetrain.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
So if it were your $ where would you invest it in, the current drive train or the swap?

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your overall goal and budget because my answer depends on that.

In the future (like 3 years minimum) is when it will happen. I was thinking about 25k for a 4.2 RMB motor, I could spend more though if needed. If not the Coyote/whipple would be it and that's about double the price. Still cheaper than a TRX though.

Reaction score
What is really going to be the hp limit of a 3.5 ecoboost? From what I think I am reading here is that there is not a way to get to 600whp. Did I miss something there?
If you want to get to 600whp, what are the options/costs? Do you really have to go coyote?

zfgracing

Reaction score
In the future (like 3 years minimum) is when it will happen. I was thinking about 25k for a 4.2 RMB motor, I could spend more though if needed. If not the Coyote/whipple would be it and that's about double the price. Still cheaper than a TRX though.
Yeah you could definitely go the the stroker route with a big set of turbos I think the tack is finally catching up enough to make that viable to make decent horsepower the big thing we got to look for is turbos that utilize electric actuators that can talk to the factory ECU because that's the biggest hang-up I have with recommending Big Turbo Kids is no electric actuators. Because in order to make that work you have to get rid of a lot of what makes the EcoBoost ECU great.

zfgracing

Reaction score
What is really going to be the hp limit of a 3.5 ecoboost? From what I think I am reading here is that there is not a way to get to 600whp. Did I miss something there?
If you want to get to 600whp, what are the options/costs? Do you really have to go coyote?
Hard to say it really depends on a lot of things with bigger frame turbos it'll be capable of more then it would be with stock location turbo has again coming down to back pressure and other variables like that. And realistically it's not so much horsepower limit is it is a torque limit and I typically don't like to push any 3.5 L past about 600 foot pounds of torque, that's where I feel is good place to be. So then horsepower really comes down to how far can you carry out at 600 foot pounds of torque. Much past 600 foot pounds, and you start to see head gasket issues.

That's also not to say that you can't break a motor at less power.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you could definitely go the the stroker route with a big set of turbos I think the tack is finally catching up enough to make that viable to make decent horsepower the big thing we got to look for is turbos that utilize electric actuators that can talk to the factory ECU because that's the biggest hang-up I have with recommending Big Turbo Kids is no electric actuators. Because in order to make that work you have to get rid of a lot of what makes the EcoBoost ECU great.

What do the electric actuators do? Yeah def 4.2 stroker with bigger turbos for sure

zfgracing

Reaction score
What do the electric actuators do? Yeah def 4.2 stroker with bigger turbos for sure
It's not so much what they do it's how they integrate into the factory ECU basically the factory computer is sending out a signal to the wastegate for position and getting a feedback signal measuring that position. And that's how the Boost is controlled by the computer unfortunately manual actuators use a boost control solenoid which operates off of a different type of signal most commonly a pwm signal which has a duty cycle of 0 to 100%. So basically there's no way for the computer to pneumatic actuators and get the feedback signal. So you're essentially have to shut everything off that has to do with boost control in the ECU and run external boost controllers. It's not the worst thing in the world but there's a lot of things that the ECU does when it has control over the Boost that make driving in EcoBoost much better for example at part throttle it will actually build more pressure in front of the throttle body and close the throttle body more than what is needed so that when you go wide open throttle you have all that extra are already there and there's virtually no lag. You also lose all the ability for auto octane torque base strategy all of the safeties that would normally turn boosts down if there's an issue, that is all out the window, because the computer cannot control the boost.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

RMB Motorworks sells Short blocks that support 700WHP starting with Stage 1, which is less than $5k. Stage 2 is only $1k more and supports 1000WHP.