CRP stage 4 build (lower than expected power levels)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Please know that I wasn’t looking to point fingers or put down any products... I see where this thread has bounced around and I was bummed a little. AdmittedlyI was disappointed in the results but it doesn’t mean that this wouldn’t be a reasonable upgrade for some people, knowing up front about what power they’ll get.

Morning,

Stage 4 CRP turbos and manifolds, AMS intake tubes kooks downpipes and AMS turbo flange. Whipple intercooler and AFE CAI. 170 stat.

Excellent install. Great shop. Dyno tuning with a tremendous effort. 37 pcm flashes. Can’t say enough good things about them.

The power is lackluster. Invested probably 12-14 grand. I don’t want to bother with the math at this point.

507 horsepower and 478 torque at the wheels. Heat soaked and 5th gear pull. It’ll make a little more peak on a cold run I assume... So basically nearly identical to MPT.

The whole thing was limited by knock on 93 octane. 4.5 of timing advance. Lambda a little rich at .77 on WOT but not way off.

Is it faster than bolt ons with a tune Yes. 447 on the same dyno. Is it noticeable? Some.

was it worth the money invested? No.

Is there a little more power in a hotter tune? Yes, but the power increases I think will be modest — and this shop tuned it for safety.

The dyno graphs from Five Star are not able to be reproduced - and no response from CRP as of yet.

At this point I can’t recommend these turbos and parts for the time and investment. If my opinion changes after some tune adjustments I’ll let you all know, but as of now this is where I stand.

I refuse to post the dyno plot as I’m just totally disappointed.

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bummer. Who’s tune is it? I can’t help but think a true FMIC will help with the heat soak. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chazzersgarage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside of the turbos, most of your mods seem to be very similar to the stage II tunes we've seen from other members. What increases were you expecting from the turbos?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I wonder what it will put down with 98 or 100 octane unleaded.

You might want to give Ryan at RMB a call to see what he'd recommend to reach your goals. He is by far one of the most knowledgeable people that I've spoken to when it comes to EcoBoost motors.

I know that he's made 4 digit power on a few different builds, I'd just be hard-pressed to believe that you're going to see much more reliable power without better fuel, or some motor work.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not even close to a stage 2. There is 30 hours of labor in changing turbos and manifolds.

heat soak wasn’t the real issue. I just pointed out that it was on the dyno all day when that pull was made. The real issue is that the truck makes that much power with that much timing. There is very little wiggle room. I’m running SP550 plugs. I’m going a step colder and will try for a little hotter tune but the difference won’t be huge. I’d like to try to pick up some torque at the 3800-4000 hit.

Outside of the turbos, most of your mods seem to be very similar to the stage II tunes we've seen from other members. What increases were you expecting from the turbos?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zombie said it best...

the mechanical limits are reached. That’s the point of sharing this. The dyno plots from five star and CRP are generous.

folks can decide if it’s worth it for themselves. You’ll pick up about 60 horsepower, mostly all upper RPM range and not much difference with torque. So unless you’re WOT all the time.... you aren’t really noticing much... and that’s my experience.... boost launch it from a dead stop and mash the gas and it’ll get close to a 4 second 60 and I can get it to spin in AWD. But normal driving around town... overtaking ons. Highway... etc... it’s not a palpable change.

so to see more power you’re talking about extensive engine work, head work... maybe even reshaping the combustion area of the heads... 20-30 grand minimum.

I think I’ll just buy a new supercharged coyote next year. ‍♂️

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Zombie said it best...

the mechanical limits are reached. That’s the point of sharing this. The dyno plots from five star and CRP are generous.

folks can decide if it’s worth it for themselves. You’ll pick up about 60 horsepower, mostly all upper RPM range and not much difference with torque. So unless you’re WOT all the time.... you aren’t really noticing much... and that’s my experience.... boost launch it from a dead stop and mash the gas and it’ll get close to a 4 second 60 and I can get it to spin in AWD. But normal driving around town... overtaking ons. Highway... etc... it’s not a palpable change.

so to see more power you’re talking about extensive engine work, head work... maybe even reshaping the combustion area of the heads... 20-30 grand minimum.

I think I’ll just buy a new supercharged coyote next year. ‍♂️

I honestly think you'd need to go to a big bore setup to get there. And if you go there, I don't think that the turbos that you have will get you there. Last I spoke to Ryan they were waiting for new turbos to come in because the units they were testing just ran out of compressor with the big bore/stroker long blocks that He's been building.

you're spending big bucks to make any tangible gains over a tuned EB motor. Built ecoboost? 25-50K. Swamp in an SC or TT Coyote? 25-30K minimum. ( I've seen as high as 55K and as low as 22K).

Me? I've kind of decided to ride my EB out, as is, until I blow it up. When that happens, I'm going V8. Not sure if it will stay Ford or go LS/LT. Each option has its pros and cons. I really don't want forced induction because fuel quality above what equates to 87/88 in the states is pretty hard to come by south of the border.

I just want an NA motor that will put 600ish down to the wheels on 91 and will hold up to banging off the limiter for a couple of hours at a time, without blowing up. ( which is apparently a really tall order.)

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah...

It’s not like other twin turbo platforms that easily come alive with larger turbos and manifolds.

I’m going to fool around with it. I have a great guy who is going to see if he can tune it a little hotter... He has a lot of experience with eco boosts and these turbos...and just get what I can get at this point...

I’ll throw it back on the rollers in a few weeks and see where I end up.

I’ll either get the next Raptor if they do produce a V8 or go MOPAR.

The dyno graphs floating out there with 580 wheel horsepower and torque on pump are fake news.

— The End.

Nood1es

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...

It’s not like other twin turbo platforms that easily come alive with larger turbos and manifolds.

I’m going to fool around with it. I have a great guy who is going to see if he can tune it a little hotter... He has a lot of experience with eco boosts and these turbos...and just get what I can get at this point...

I’ll throw it back on the rollers in a few weeks and see where I end up.

I’ll either get the next Raptor if they do produce a V8 or go MOPAR.

The dyno graphs floating out there with 580 wheel horsepower and torque on pump are fake news.

— The End.
Damn sorry to hear. Hope it works out in the end without you having to drop much more money into it.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah...

I’m done. The first TRX That smokes me at a light is going to send me packing.

Damn sorry to hear. Hope it works out in the end without you having to drop much more money into it.

I will update if I make any progress though...