Cobb tune and the new phaser software update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MD MUD

Reaction score
I contacted gearhead, which is the tune I’m running. Was told to load the stock tune, had the cam phaser update done and then sent the updated strategy to GH. Then they sent me an updated tune.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So is it safe to get the cam phaser TSB flash done now? Last I read some dealers were having issues figuring it out. I was not sure if Ford was making a tweak or if some dealers just have unqualified techs.
That was on the first release. The updated calibration was released on 7/15 and isn’t causing issues.

Lee144

Reaction score
Brought mine to the dealer for this today. Flashed everything back to the stock map (Tcm, ecu) and the dealer is saying the truck won’t allow them to flash it. They tried it for two days and are saying the map won’t save. They opened a case with Ford and want me to bring the truck back next week when the Ford area rep is at the shop.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brought mine to the dealer for this today. Flashed everything back to the stock map (Tcm, ecu) and the dealer is saying the truck won’t allow them to flash it. They tried it for two days and are saying the map won’t save. They opened a case with Ford and want me to bring the truck back next week when the Ford area rep is at the shop.
Did you flash to stock or completely uninstall the ECM/TCM?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Did you let them know it’s been tuned? They may need to recover the PCM to the original calibration to get it to work, but if you don’t tell them they’re not going to know that may be necessary.

Lee144

Reaction score
I flashed to stock/ 0 map. Should I completely remove?
Did you let them know it’s been tuned? They may need to recover the PCM to the original calibration to get it to work, but if you don’t tell them they’re not going to know that may be necessary.
I did not. I can call them on Monday but I didn’t consider it while there.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I flashed to stock/ 0 map. Should I completely remove?

I did not. I can call them on Monday but I didn’t consider it while there.
Yes. You need to “unmarry” the tune from the truck. So uninstall ECM/TCM completely. Update your AP COBB via computer. Have dealership perform Cam Phaser flash and then you can reinstall both ECM/TCM.

Lee144

Reaction score
Yes. You need to “unmarry” the tune from the truck. So uninstall ECM/TCM completely. Update your AP COBB via computer. Have dealership perform Cam Phaser flash and then you can reinstall both ECM/TCM.
Ah gotcha, will do. Thank you!

dubseewc

Reaction score
This is all great info, thank you all.

I made the mistake of doing the cam phaser update (recall) without unmarrying my Cobb. They couldn't get through to the PCM, and when asking for advice, the service advisor had no clue what to do lol.

Guess I'm making another appointment