Cobb tune and the new phaser software update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know most are talking about Cobb, but my guess is it's common with all tuners. I have a stock Bully Dog tuner and have yet to have phaser TSB done. After I have TSB performed, if I reload the stock Bully Dog tune, it should be okay right??? Dont want to see some software crash.....that would be a bad day!

If I was going to have any risk of warranty issue w/ an aftermarket tune, it for sure wouldn’t be a bully dog one, why not get a proper custom tune that you know is reliable & safe & actually has dyno #s backing up?

Goose, GH, MPT, etc

FDNY-L107

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Roush’s tune on mine, and they told me I can get the phaser TSB installed but it would over write their tune. Otherwise, I would need to wait until Roush releases their tune update which includes the phaser updates.

I am waiting. Interesting how tunes from different vendors are programmed in which the COBB tune does not over write Ford’s updated parameters.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have Roush’s tune on mine, and they told me I can get the phaser TSB installed but it would over write their tune. Otherwise, I would need to wait until Roush releases their tune update which includes the phaser updates.

I am waiting. Interesting how tunes from different vendors are programmed in which the COBB tune does not over write Ford’s updated parameters.

The ford calibration sits a layer below my tune in the COBB Accessport.

The Roush tune is the primary calibration which gets overwritten.

They may or may not update their calibration, who knows.

COBB has had compatibility for updates like this :)

Seartrip

Reaction score
I had the 21B10 update done. I completely uninstalled my Cobb TCM and PCM tunes, had the truck updated at the dealer, and had no issues. Reinstalled the Accessport and tunes the next day and everything is great. Just going through a little relearning.

Cobb told me their tune wouldn't overwrite the Ford calibration.

Glad this over, though. I dread any dealer work.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had the 21B10 update done. I completely uninstalled my Cobb TCM and PCM tunes, had the truck updated at the dealer, and had no issues. Reinstalled the Accessport and tunes the next day and everything is great. Just going through a little relearning.

Cobb told me their tune wouldn't overwrite the Ford calibration.

Glad this over, though. I dread any dealer work.

Perfect!

Steve19Raptor

Reaction score
Did you let them know it’s been tuned? They may need to recover the PCM to the original calibration to get it to work, but if you don’t tell them they’re not going to know that may be necessary.
New to the raptor world--2019 purchased last month. Rattle on start up so check and need 21B10 and 21N08. Took it into ford today and they can't get around the tune--ford advises them to not touch it as they have had "brick" trucks that once the update has been performed the truck is dead in the water. Any thoughts--I forgot to add that the dealership I purchased it from has no records on the tune, brand or anything

Last edited:

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They will say they "can't flash it...". Tell them to keep trying.

I've seen a 100% success rate for them being able to flash the ECU after a tune was removed. It ends up being an 'issue on fords end that didn't allow the flash..' after you reassure them that it doesn't have a tune married to it.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will say they "can't flash it...". Tell them to keep trying.

I've seen a 100% success rate for them being able to flash the ECU after a tune was removed. It ends up being an 'issue on fords end that didn't allow the flash..' after you reassure them that it doesn't have a tune married to it.
I am not certain Winfield...But if I read his comment correctly, he does not know what tune he has? Not sure based on wording, but that is what I was thinking from this "the dealership I purchased it from has no records on the tune, brand or anything" ?? Again...I may be wrong...But I think his concern is he thinks he has a tune...but no idea or any record of if he actually does, or what brand etc..

Clean me up if I am wrong Steve19Raptor..

DC

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am not certain Winfield...But if I read his comment correctly, he does not know what tune he has? Not sure based on wording, but that is what I was thinking from this "the dealership I purchased it from has no records on the tune, brand or anything" ?? Again...I may be wrong...But I think his concern is he thinks he has a tune...but no idea or any record of if he actually does, or what brand etc..

Clean me up if I am wrong Steve19Raptor..

DC

Agreed.

His comment was edited so I didn’t see that

Steve19Raptor

Reaction score
That is correct--dealer I purchased it from knew it had a tune but when they took it on trade they didn't get any information about the tune. My guess is they found out it had a tune when they went to run the cam phaser patch and couldn't get around the "married" tune. I took it to another dealer and they told me the same thing. I ended up going back to original dealer and getting a little edgy and they are taking it in tomorrow to see what they can do. I've stated to the dealer that I don't mind losing the tune especially since we have no Idea what it is and these trucks seem to need patchs and reflashes often. Hope that clears up my original post--very new to the tune aspect but had several Platinums over the years and thought I needed a Raptor:)