Gen 3 Software Update - Bricked Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
velogil

velogil

Reaction score
So I got e
Any idea what the update was? If you aren’t sure you can send me your on and I can pull it up. Curious which one could be causing this. @sct @velogil
So truck back in operation. they removed my SDI e-clik during the upgrade and it completed, then we re-connected the e-clik afterwards. Seems like things are back to normal. I still need to do more research. Thinking that my go forward strategy is to keep auto upgrades off and then if/when i decide to do an update...i'll make sure i'm on a flat surface...re-connect the stock VDM and manually flash it while i'm watching the process. hopefully that will do the trick. I still need to chat with SDI to see what they think.

sct

Reaction score
So I got e

So truck back in operation. they removed my SDI e-clik during the upgrade and it completed, then we re-connected the e-clik afterwards. Seems like things are back to normal. I still need to do more research. Thinking that my go forward strategy is to keep auto upgrades off and then if/when i decide to do an update...i'll make sure i'm on a flat surface...re-connect the stock VDM and manually flash it while i'm watching the process. hopefully that will do the trick. I still need to chat with SDI to see what they think.
Did they charge you to get it sorted or take care of it under warranty? My dealer is making me a little uneasy about the issue.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seriously a failed software update will brick the truck?
Failed software updates brick PCs, phones, traffic controllers, IPcameras- you name it.

LG bricked a bunch of BluRay players (millions) with a bad update. No way to fix it since they can't connect to anything. Throw it in the trash.

Flashing new software to a functioning device is *always* a risk.

Turn off autoupdates on anything you can unless you need the update.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Turn off autoupdates on anything you can unless you need the update.

This.
A few years ago, my mom - who owns a 1940’s era Singer sewing machine, bought a brand new, fancy ‘connected’ sewing machine, for the princely sum of $15k. And we thought the Raptor tax was bad. She had part breakage, and asked me to take it in for service. The service guy asked that question first - “were auto updates on?”
It turns out the model in question can take hours to complete an upgrade and it’s completely down while that’s happening. It’s a ****ing sewing machine, not a web server...

OP
OP
velogil

velogil

Reaction score
Hey All,

Looks like this has happened to others but I thought i'd share since this just happened to me this morning (12/22/23). Auto update tried to install last night and when i went to start up my truck this morning (NO JOY!!). Truck will not start and i can't get it out of Park (tried the secret lever under the steering wheel and that didn't work). Waiting for the second tow truck that will hopefully bring dollies to move the truck off of my driveway. This seems ridiculous to me, but i guess my only comment is to TURN OFF AUTO UPDATES...so you can wait and get some feedback from others before going through this nightmare.

Not sure what the deal is with the software but this should not make the truck non-functional. Super frustrating and thank goodness i wasn't camping (towing) or in the mountains.

FORD needs to think through this process.
So another update for you guys and how i went about doing a software update after i was a bit nervous based on my previous issues. I had held off on the update for a bit, then once it appeared that there weren't any major updates i went ahead and parked my Raptor in the street (Flat and easy access for a tow truck if the worst case happened :)). I disconnected my SDI E-Clik computer and reinstalled the factory computer. Then manually started the update...took a while to download and install but it was successful...After the update i re-connected the SDI E-Clik computer. She be good!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter