Gen 3 Software Update - Bricked Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

velogil

Reaction score
Hey All,

Looks like this has happened to others but I thought i'd share since this just happened to me this morning (12/22/23). Auto update tried to install last night and when i went to start up my truck this morning (NO JOY!!). Truck will not start and i can't get it out of Park (tried the secret lever under the steering wheel and that didn't work). Waiting for the second tow truck that will hopefully bring dollies to move the truck off of my driveway. This seems ridiculous to me, but i guess my only comment is to TURN OFF AUTO UPDATES...so you can wait and get some feedback from others before going through this nightmare.

Not sure what the deal is with the software but this should not make the truck non-functional. Super frustrating and thank goodness i wasn't camping (towing) or in the mountains.

FORD needs to think through this process.

mobilefordtechjosh

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your truck tuned? Any sort of Forscan mods? These will create issues with OTA- Over the Air updates. Definitely turn auto updates off if your planning on running a tune or any Forscan mods.

OP
OP
velogil

velogil

Reaction score
Is your truck tuned? Any sort of Forscan mods? These will create issues with OTA- Over the Air updates. Definitely turn auto updates off if your planning on running a tune or any Forscan mods.
No tunes on the engine. Did add SDI E-Clik but can't see how that would matter. Truck is still at the dealership. I'll update y'all once i get a root cause.

I did figure out how to force the truck into neutral while on my slanted driveway which was nice as it was getting pulled onto a flatbed. I had to pull the lever that is shown in the pic below until the parking led on the shifter is blinking and then needed to hold the e-brake button to keep it from engaging as i was going backwards on my driveway. Certainly better than dragging the truck as i've seen in some videos. Total shit show.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 83

mobilefordtechjosh

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your luck with the update. I run the mobile service division for the Ford dealership that I work at and I was at a customers house updating the PCM on someone’s vehicle and was not aware that Ford servers had went down in the middle of the update and ended up bricking a customers car that was fully functional and brand new talk about feeling embarrassed and looking stupid. Either way looks like you got yourself a G3 still got a sick truck even if it’s stuck in the driveway.
Hopefully, Ford will get it taken care of for you as soon as possible

signalbobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what thee ****? Seriously a failed software update will brick the truck? Shit how do we force restart or roll this back? Man Ford step it up the **** up. Youve been around forever and this is the quality we get?

signalbobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your luck with the update. I run the mobile service division for the Ford dealership that I work at and I was at a customers house updating the PCM on someone’s vehicle and was not aware that Ford servers had went down in the middle of the update and ended up bricking a customers car that was fully functional and brand new talk about feeling embarrassed and looking stupid. Either way looks like you got yourself a G3 still got a sick truck even if it’s stuck in the driveway.
Hopefully, Ford will get it taken care of for you as soon as possible
Ford should have figured this out to allow the progress of an update, and if at anytime a failure to roll it all back and go back to the last known working version.