cam phaser rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 - if u have it ,is there a point to getting the pcm update
2- if it is the rattle ,which I don't care the noise does not bother me ,will it hurt anything ?
3-if it is rattling ,is that a prelude to a failure ?
4- have the gen 3 fixed this issue ?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This has only been fully covered a billion times. Get the update if you want the extended warranty and peace of mind, if it's making noise, get it fixed so you can get back in the line up at Starbucks. And yes this was fixed at the end of the gen 2's.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know its been cover a billion times , but it seems u get a different answer from every single person .
Well, you could just listen to @FordTechOne , he has explained this several times. Anyway, most members with a Gen 2 do say to get it updated. Maybe somebody should do a poll: should I or should I not.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get the software update. It prevents the phaser wear and extends your warranty. If you already have a rattle, have the phasers replaced. The bulletin states that the noise “does not affect the vehicle safety, performance, or emissions”. However, the noise means the phaser locking mechanism is worn. The issue was resolved in production 11/2019.

Ulises

Reaction score
Get the software update. It prevents the phaser wear and extends your warranty. If you already have a rattle, have the phasers replaced. The bulletin states that the noise “does not affect the vehicle safety, performance, or emissions”. However, the noise means the phaser locking mechanism is worn. The issue was resolved in production 11/2019.
I've had it checked out twice, both different Ford Dealerships. But, it seems they cannot get it right. In fact, the knocking was not as bad at first, and after they did the update, it got worse... What would you recommend me to do? I'm literally contemplating on taking it a third party shop and just trying to get it fixed.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had it checked out twice, both different Ford Dealerships. But, it seems they cannot get it right. In fact, the knocking was not as bad at first, and after they did the update, it got worse... What would you recommend me to do? I'm literally contemplating on taking it a third party shop and just trying to get it fixed.
What knocking are you referring to? 21B10 should not make anything worse, it sounds like you may have something else going on.