GEN 2 Cam phaser rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreuter

Reaction score
As the title states I now am the not so thrilled owner of a cam phaser rattle raptor. Its a early May 2018 build. Recently went in for a water pump replacement the next morning got the rattle. Am I just lucky or are they connected?

Seems to be cold start only at the moment.
Truck is also stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As the title states I now am the not so thrilled owner of a cam phaser rattle raptor. Its a early May 2018 build. Recently went in for a water pump replacement the next morning got the rattle. Am I just lucky or are they connected?

Truck is also stock

I’d post a vid to confirm, sometimes the cold starts sound rough on these things but could be any # of things- mine makes a racket sometimes w/ the waste gate actuator

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Truck is also stock

No relation to the water pump.

The concern occurs on a cold start because the cam phasers aren't parking properly on shutdown. Ford identified a parts issue with the phasers and released a service message for dealers to replace all 4 phasers with the updated parts. The message number is SSM 48272.

The repair isn't major but it still takes some time, mostly because the timing chains must be removed. Any experienced gas engine repair technician can do the job in less than a day, just need to have parts ready.

OP
OP
dreuter

dreuter

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I knew what it was had a 2011 f150 with the 3.5 have the same problem... it went boom out of warranty.

They are replacing the timing chains and the phasers. They tried a tsb update for the pcm said it helped but the rattle was still present.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ mine started making this noise recently..... Used to be once in a while upon cold start up and now it is every cold start up.

Mine is a early build 2018 with 42K miles on it.

My dealership acted like they had no clue what I was talking about. How do I get them to warrant this?

OP
OP
dreuter

dreuter

Reaction score
^ mine started making this noise recently..... Used to be once in a while upon cold start up and now it is every cold start up.

Mine is a early build 2018 with 42K miles on it.

My dealership acted like they had no clue what I was talking about. How do I get them to warrant this?

Find another dealer.
Post video a few of us know exactly what the sound is that you don’t want.

TxCOR

Reaction score
I think I may be in the bucket now too. It sounds like a crap rattling around in a tin can on most cold starts. Is this most likely the cam phaser rattle that everyone is referring to?

The truck is running fine, but I definitely want to get this fixed sooner than later before the Cobb Stage 2 bug bites and they void my warranty when something goes bad lol

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 built in late April after the "fix" supposedly hit the production line, but according to my dealer, I have the issue, the parts are now in, and I am dropping it off this upcoming Monday to get what they refer to as the "Cam Phaser Fix".

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
take it to the other thread so it can all be housed together. please. lots of cases documented in a single thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DehydratedSurfer

Latest posts