Cam phaser issue, TSB and dealer responsibility to cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXTransplant

Reaction score
Just curious what's been the overall experience with getting dealers to cover this issuer per TSB 21-2119? My 2017 is currently in the shop and diagnosed as having the issue. I'm looking at around 4k for cam phaser fix and timing chain to be replaced. I'm out of warranty at 86000 miles. Has anyone had any luck getting Ford/delerships to assume responsibility for this considering its a known issue? If I have to come out of pocket I'm just going to sell it and grab a 2021 M3 lease until the Lightning drops next year.

No mods
Regular maintenance done
Some highway blasts and general hauling but never towed anything heavier then your average weight sports bikes and topsoil.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe @FordTechOne said there’s a warranty extension for this issue. Not sure the mileage but I think you have some recourse. If it’s not out yet, it won’t hurt the truck to leave it until the extension is applied to your truck.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The warranty extension bulletin is only out for the non-H.O. 3.5 so far, but in that same bulletin it states that the 3.5 H.O. will receive it's own warranty extension, as they use the same parts. The timing chain does NOT need to be replaced. Only the phasers. If they're claiming otherwise, they're not following the TSB.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either way, let the thing lie until the extension is extended. The engine will be ok in the meantime.

OP
OP
T

TXTransplant

Reaction score
Thanks guys, is the warranty extension language in tsb 21-2119?

Also, what kind of prices are you guys seeing for private party sells and dealership sell backs? I wanna get rid of this thing the moment its fixed. KBB is showing ******** prices no matter what I enter lol.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys, is the warranty extension language in tsb 21-2119?

Also, what kind of prices are you guys seeing for private party sells and dealership sell backs? I wanna get rid of this thing the moment its fixed. KBB is showing ******** prices no matter what I enter lol.
GEN2 prices are crazy right now. Just go to KBB and enter your info and see what comes back. I just sold my 2019 .. sticker was 70.5 and sold it to a dealership for 69K. They never even looked at it. They told me with 13K miles, they will put it on the lot at 75K and it will sell easily.

Beenjammin

Reaction score
call up Ford customer service 1-800-392-3673. Get an agent and a claim # started. Write down your agents name and make sure they have your email address. Tell them about this issue and they are going to ask if a Local dealer diagnosed it. They will call this dealer ship ( did 3-way call with me) and get an estimate. They should offer you financial assistance. tell them its a very well known issue and you know there is a CST already on the 3.5 EB and understand they is one in the works for the H.O engine. The did not even argue with me and straight up offered to cover 50% of all costs.

I thought it was still going to be around $2k but since Ford was picking up the bill they charge the warranty at cost price of ~$1500 so my out of pocket is right at $750. Mind you when they popped in my VIN it showed that the phasers were replaced once already under warranty, but you you still call. They are very nice. I have 75K+ on my 2017.

One one hand I feel they should have covered it 100% due it it being a known issue, but on the other its past my warranty and they could had told me to get lost. Glad Ford helped because I was going to spend that $4k on taxes trading in on a brand new AT4 if they had not have helped.

I feel like they were so quick to help me because like Fordtechone has said... they know a H.O. CSB is right around the corner.

Fordtechone has been invaluable. Big thanks to all his help and posts over the years.

Fyatrk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious what's been the overall experience with getting dealers to cover this issuer per TSB 21-2119? My 2017 is currently in the shop and diagnosed as having the issue. I'm looking at around 4k for cam phaser fix and timing chain to be replaced. I'm out of warranty at 86000 miles. Has anyone had any luck getting Ford/delerships to assume responsibility for this considering its a known issue? If I have to come out of pocket I'm just going to sell it and grab a 2021 M3 lease until the Lightning drops next year.

No mods
Regular maintenance done
Some highway blasts and general hauling but never towed anything heavier then your average weight sports bikes and topsoil.
My 17 is waiting for parts for the same issue dealer said it was covered under the 100,000Km power train warranty

Last edited:

Beenjammin

Reaction score
I had to post this: Ford just called me after the repair in which they helped with and offered me a 3 year/36000 mile ESP premium care $100 deductible. Since I was considering this anyway through Zeigler, I assumed they were going to sell me one...

It was Free of charge and is listed under my VIN now. Shocked! But if they treating customers like this. Ill be staying a Ford man. I cant say it will be this way for everyone as my situation could somehow be different in that they previously attempted the repair once, but it seems everyone else has also. I dont know. Just wanted to share.

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to jump into a Raptor forum with only a 2014 Explorer Sport but this and the F150 forums seem to be the only places discussing the cam phaser issue on the 3.5L and 3.5L ** engines. Long story short, I had an intermittent CEL that popped Up last weekend and gave the P0016 code. I took it to the dealership and they are saying that the Explorer is having the cam phaser issues that seem to plague this engine and said that it would either need replacement of the cam phasers at a cost to me of ~$3,800 or possibly the entire engine replaced at a significantly higher cost as per Ford’s recommendation for this problem dependent on the results of their testing. Needless to say, I’m in shock. The engine has 174k in mileage and received regular maintenance within the specified frequencies. I’m trying to sort out wby Ford only covered the engines in the F150 under the TSB and not those other vehicles that share the 3.5L engine and if a broader coverage might occur? Not sure anyone has the answers but it’s worth a try to see if anyone has any insight. I really thought that the engine would last longer without issue but the discussions here and on the other forums have been rather eye opening. Thanks in advance.