Cam phaser repair turns into new long block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
scpete24

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@scpete24 How's the new engine performing? What a mess you had to deal with.

Mine is a 2020 and is currently in the shop for a new long block replacement under warranty. Supposed to be ready on Friday. I had a similar issue using two dealers.
I was hearing a knocking noise around 2k RPM when the engine was under load, first dealer tells me they can't replicate, and that any noise I am hearing is normal turbo noises..... total BS.
Second dealer I took it to I got them to replicate the noise and acknowledge something was wrong. They ran a bunch of tests on the motor and couldn't determine exactly where it was coming from other than it was low in the block. Service writer was great and instead of them tearing the motor apart, they got approval from Ford to just replace the whole long block assembly. They think it was rod bearing.

I have a couple of questions:
  • Did your new long block assembly come with a new warranty?
  • Was there a break in procedure?
  • Did it come with the updated cam phasers? I see your post above that the build date was 10/22, so I assume so - just curious if any issues have popped up.

Hope your headaches are gone and the truck is performing well!
New motor is running great so far!

@FordTechOne is accurate on most, however the dealership told me the new engine came with a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty. I don't know if that's because they nuked my old one by not torquing down a bolt or what but essentially they paid for it out of pocket and filed a claim with their insurance to cover the cost as I understood it. I saw the paperwork and it was around 18K for the new long block. Paperwork I took home has no numbers, just lists "internal" where the $$ or "warranty" would usually be on the work order to the right of the item

I drove it lightly for the first 500-600 miles then ramped it up from there with an oil change at 1K miles

As far as I've been told the new motor came with the updated parts and all that yea. It wasn't a rebuilt engine, the service tech manager told me they could tell because it came on a pallet in a wooden box and not in a plastic crate like they usually see with the rebuilt engines. If that was BS or not I dont know :33:

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interference engine, if timing is off shit will grenade especially when the timing advances.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I worked at the dealer repairs were covered by either remainder of vehicle warranty OR standard warranty as if the customer had paid for the repair. Which ever provided the longest coverage.

It would be retar-ded to have an engine replaced 1 month before warranty ends and only end up with one month of warranty on said engine.

Things may have changed, it has been 12 years.

OP
OP
scpete24

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I worked at the dealer repairs were covered by either remainder of vehicle warranty OR standard warranty as if the customer had paid for the repair. Which ever provided the longest coverage.

It would be retar-ded to have an engine replaced 1 month before warranty ends and only end up with one month of warranty on said engine.

Things may have changed, it has been 12 years.
I would think the same. Mine was out of warranty and they told me it had a 3-year warranty which I beleive seeing how this was their fault and was a brand new motor purchased by them...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
New motor is running great so far!

@FordTechOne is accurate on most, however the dealership told me the new engine came with a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty. I don't know if that's because they nuked my old one by not torquing down a bolt or what but essentially they paid for it out of pocket and filed a claim with their insurance to cover the cost as I understood it. I saw the paperwork and it was around 18K for the new long block. Paperwork I took home has no numbers, just lists "internal" where the $$ or "warranty" would usually be on the work order to the right of the item
The 3 year warranty confirms the dealer paid for it; same with “internal” on the paperwork. It’s nice to hear of a dealer owning up to their mistake and making it right for once!

OP
OP
scpete24

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3 year warranty confirms the dealer paid for it; same with “internal” on the paperwork. It’s nice to hear of a dealer owning up to their mistake and making it right for once!
Great to have that confirmed by you! It was rough at first but they did own up to it and fix it so can't blame them in that regard

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great to have that confirmed by you! It was rough at first but they did own up to it and fix it so can't blame them in that regard
Heard a quote once, not sure who.

"We are all human, humans makes mistakes. That is not and should not be the issue. How a person responds to the mistake IS the issue"