Cam phaser repair turns into new long block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought you guys might enjoy some quality dealership workmanship on my truck and a story. Took my truck in for the cam phaser repair (67K miles) and was going to replace my cracked valve cover, water pump, and put in a new T-stat while they had it torn apart. Take it in, job goes "well" they tell me my truck is done a day after I dropped it off. Picked it up and drove it home, didn't notice anything the first couple days while it sat in my driveway. Decide to take it to work one day and start her up and hear this loud knocking sound coming from the engine bay exactly like the video posted here https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/cam-phaser-aftermath.95135/ and below if it doesn't upload

Decide to take it to another dealership a bit further from me. They could not recreate the noise and was running fine, but agreed to look into it. They didn't get to it for a couple weeks but when they did holy shit. Started out with the first call - we found metal shavings in your oil. Tell them to tear into it more and get the other dealership involved to see what happened because it sure as hell didn't have metal in the oil before the cam phaser job. Few back and forth phone calls and then they call me back after tearing into it more and send me some photos. The tech had not torqued the driver side timing chain bolts down and the spacer was in my oil pan with the bolt nowhere to be found. At this point, I'm looking at a small block at a minimum. Get the first dealership to approve further tear down and removing cam caps, they find scoring on the cams and more metal meaning I'm in need a full new long block motor.

After multiple phone calls the original dealership agrees it's in need of a long block and says they wont pay the other dealership to install and that if I wanted it I have to bring it back to them to complete the engine swap. I'm beyond pissed at this point but will spare the details of phone calls and ultimately agree I dont want to take legal action and let them pick up my truck and tow it back to them. Now, I'm getting a brand new long block motor installed and hope to get it back next week. Good news is I'm getting a new motor and all paid for by dealer that did the cam phaser repairs...

Edit - forgot to post the picture of the new motor!

Attachments

• image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 91
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 89
  • image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4046.JPG
    IMG_4046.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4047.JPG
    IMG_4047.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
OP
OP
scpete24

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes man. Hopefully it gets sorted quickly, and hopefully the new longblock has the phasers so you won't need to have another phaser job done.

I specifically asked about that and should have the new phasers as the engine build date is October of 2022. Only time will tell!

OP
OP
scpete24

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, do you have any idea how much the long block cost retail?
The number that was on the dealers paperwork was written up for a bit over 17K. On my paperwork, all it said was internal on every line item. Guessing it cost them 17K at cost and that didn't include their labor to install.

Jwod1993

Reaction score
Just picked my truck up today. Hopefully all is well with the new engine and many more memories to come!
@scpete24 How's the new engine performing? What a mess you had to deal with.

Mine is a 2020 and is currently in the shop for a new long block replacement under warranty. Supposed to be ready on Friday. I had a similar issue using two dealers.
I was hearing a knocking noise around 2k RPM when the engine was under load, first dealer tells me they can't replicate, and that any noise I am hearing is normal turbo noises..... total BS.
Second dealer I took it to I got them to replicate the noise and acknowledge something was wrong. They ran a bunch of tests on the motor and couldn't determine exactly where it was coming from other than it was low in the block. Service writer was great and instead of them tearing the motor apart, they got approval from Ford to just replace the whole long block assembly. They think it was rod bearing.

I have a couple of questions:
  • Did your new long block assembly come with a new warranty?
  • Was there a break in procedure?
  • Did it come with the updated cam phasers? I see your post above that the build date was 10/22, so I assume so - just curious if any issues have popped up.

Hope your headaches are gone and the truck is performing well!

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can answer these questions.
@scpete24 How's the new engine performing? What a mess you had to deal I have a couple of questions:
  • Did your new long block assembly come with a new warranty?
No. If it’s replaced under warranty, it’s covered for the duration of the remaining powertrain warranty coverage.
  • Was there a break in procedure?
Yes, refer to the Owners Manuel for specifics. Basically no towing, hauling, etc and vary engine RPM.
  • Did it come with the updated cam phasers? I see your post above that the build date was 10/22, so I assume so - just curious if any issues have popped up.
All service engines have the latest parts. New phasers went into production 11/19.

Last edited: