Cam Phaser Horror Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s because the software update was covered under 21B10. They don’t pay dealers to do software updates that are covered under another program.
WHats interesting is a prior version of the TSB from 2020 vs 2021 that I found mentioned doing update to software to most current version prior to 21B1. . Seems inconsistent at best...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
WHats interesting is a prior version of the TSB from 2020 vs 2021 that I found mentioned doing update to software to most current version prior to 21B1. . Seems inconsistent at best...
That’s because that TSB came out before 21B10.

Nolo0125

Reaction score
I take everything on CarFax with a grain of salt
Wasn’t worried about conspiracy theories and expected Carfax to be somewhat truthful especially when it was there before and now gone but as long as Ford has it on record and it was done then I am happy.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am glad to have this conversation posted again.

I have a similar issue with the TSB. I was not able to get the vehicle into the dealer since I was out of the country.

The service advisor stated that since I did not have the noise, it was unlikely to correct the issue. He saw that I had the extended warranty and said that I was covered. I did not like this response. It sounded like passing the buck to a way to get paid for the work in the future.

What I am hearing is that the programming should be done to avoid the problem occurring in the future. I have very low mileage on my 2020 (~7,500) and would like to avoid the problem.

Please confirm FT1. I appreciate your feedback to this forum.
I did not have the cam phaser issue before I got the flash from the TSB. The scare tactics worked.

3 months later, my cam phasers broke. and I have them replaced with new parts numbers under warranty....after 3 months of waiting.

I think the TSB was designed to force them to fail, so they could get as many in and replaced under warranty, not under recall. warranty sounds better then recall.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
I did not have the cam phaser issue before I got the flash from the TSB. The scare tactics worked.

3 months later, my cam phasers broke. and I have them replaced with new parts numbers under warranty....after 3 months of waiting.

I think the TSB was designed to force them to fail, so they could get as many in and replaced under warranty, not under recall. warranty sounds better then recall.
Do you have an extended warranty or are you under 5yr 60k mile warranty?

Nolo0125

Reaction score
OK this is just strange. When I bought my 2019 Raptor, the dealer sent me the CARFAX and it showed at 31K miles the cam phaser was done and then at 40k the Unintended tail gate actuator issue was solved.
I just pulled the Carfax back up and the cam phaser issue isn’t even on the report anymore.
Is that because I am the second owner?
It has just over 50K on it and now I am not sure if it was done or is someone messing with me?
Would it still be covered under the 5/60k plan or are all cam phaser issues built into the truck regardless of ownership€
Maybe I will contact the dealer in FL that serviced it and give them my VIN to see if in fact it was done or should I contact Ford directly as I don’t want this thing rearing it’s ugly head down the road.
Thoughts?
Ok, just called the dealership in FL where I thought the recall was done and they confirmed that the Cam Phasers were done at 32k but it was done as a TSB ( Technical Service Bulletin) and not as a recall and since the repair had expired, it was removed from the Carfax report but still in the Ford Oasis report. Another dealer did tell me that the Cam Phasers were still part of the 5/60 power train warranty and if I was having an issue to bring it in for them to look at during a cold start. No noise so not going in but nice to know they back it up.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
Small update: The dealership is claiming the timing chain and valve cover gasket is backordered from the manufacture. The truck has sit in the dealer parking lot for over three weeks now. The dealer has finally opened a copus case? which apparently is another way to get parts. Dealership doesn't want me to come get the vehicle in the meantime and they have no loaners available. Ford corp offered me $60 per day if I rented a Ford truck but they are over $128 per day!

My patience is wearing thin as no one can tell me any sort of eta on the parts I need and my truck is being held hostage. Anyone have any suggestions? Is it time to start being an *******? Maybe take to another dealer? I was happy with the $1100 deal but this is getting on my nerves not having a primary vehicle. I feel like I have been pretty reasonable.

Last edited: