Cam Phaser Horror Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Webb24

Reaction score
Well since someone deleted my last post I guess I will make a new one with an update. Please don't delete this thread and everyone be respectful.

So the Ford guy working the counter at check in completely dismissed the new programming saying it doesn't do anything which I thought was strange.

I did find out the dealership failed to do the new programming when the recall was active while the truck was in for service, so I figure that helps my case.

When I pushed back on the programming "not doing anything" with the tsb documents in hand he kind of changed his tune a little and said they could do the programming if I wanted but it didnt help his truck.

I then said the phasers need replaced and then reprogrammed if they are already rattling and he reluctantly agreed.

The truck is still just under 70k miles and I am waiting to hear back if it is going to be covered by Ford or not. He said if not its a $5k repair.

The guy at the counter said since the phasers were already changed once in 2020 under warranty that Ford typically only covers them for 12k miles and that would somehow hurt my case?

All in all It felt like I knew more about this problem than he did even though the customer just before me was in for the same exact repair.

I am not sure if the guy was playing dumb or is actually dumb.

Anyway, I will continue to update.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
Find a different dealership.
Well it is a little late for that now since I just dropped it off this morning but maybe I should of left after he said the programming does nothing? I will call them tomorrow and see if there are any updates.

Do you know how long it should take to determine if Ford will cover it or not?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Depends. Ford is not always Johnny on the spot for us common folk. May take a few weeks. I'm hopeful for less, but they might fly someone out as well. So who knows...

Edit: if you talk with Ford I would mention that the dealership didn't do the update per TSB.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would open a case with Ford, explain what happened and what was said. Also, tell them the update should have been done per ford policy. Ford is pretty good at covering known failures.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
I would open a case with Ford, explain what happened and what was said. Also, tell them the update should have been done per ford policy. Ford is pretty good at covering known failures.

I opened a case with Ford corporate before I ever took it to the dealership. Corporate basically said to take it to the dealership and see what they said and if it is not satisfactory to call them back and have someone assigned to my case.

I really hope I can get this repaired correctly this time, I love the truck.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you were able to confirm that they didn’t do recall 21B10. Amazing how they took it upon themselves to decide whether it was needed or not. That explains the repeat failure; any part operated outside of intended design will eventually fail regardless of how robust it is.

I would be sure to reinforce that by them failing to complete recall 21B10, they also forfeit (on your behalf) the extended coverage that would have applied through 21N03. Ford (corporate) may look at that and assume it was your decision to not have the recall completed and extended coverage applied. I would make it very clear to both the dealer and corporate that the dealer is the one who dropped the ball by not performing the open recall.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
So you were able to confirm that they didn’t do recall 21B10. Amazing how they took it upon themselves to decide whether it was needed or not. That explains the repeat failure; any part operated outside of intended design will eventually fail regardless of how robust it is.

I would be sure to reinforce that by them failing to complete recall 21B10, they also forfeit (on your behalf) the extended coverage that would have applied through 21N03. Ford (corporate) may look at that and assume it was your decision to not have the recall completed and extended coverage applied. I would make it very clear to both the dealer and corporate that the dealer is the one who dropped the ball by not performing the open recall.
I did confirm that the programming was not done during an unrelated repair in April of 2022 when the recall was active.

I know for sure they never asked me if I wanted it done or not.

Does the customer have to request that all current recalls be done during a service visit or is it Ford policy to automatically do them unless the customer specifically says not to?

I did confirm that I got the new phaser part number ending in cd in the April 2020 repair but that was before any official recall.

Last edited: