Cam Phaser Horror Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nolo0125

Reaction score
I think you made the right decision here. Yeah it sucks that it wasn't taken care of before you got it but as my father would say, 'that ship has sailed'. $1100 to have it fixed when you legally are on the hook for the problem, meaning, it would take a shitload of time and money for you to possibly prove the dealer is legally responsible.
Just some more information for everyone and maybe it pertains to the expiration of all the cam phaser issues.
I bought my truck used in 2023 and it’s a 19 model. When I received the CARFAX report during the purchase, it showed the cam phasers done as a recall in 10/21 at 32K miles. Oddly after I purchased the truck as the second owner at 49K from a different dealership, the new Carfax report didn’t show the cam phaser recall. So I called the dealership in FL and gave them my VIN and they confirmed that it was done at that time. Why and who would remove this important information from this report? Sounds like Ford is trying to limit liability in the future or when it changes ownership does it drop off? Even the Service guy at Ford thought that was odd that it fell off. The second recall is still on there.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am glad to have this conversation posted again.

I have a similar issue with the TSB. I was not able to get the vehicle into the dealer since I was out of the country.

The service advisor stated that since I did not have the noise, it was unlikely to correct the issue. He saw that I had the extended warranty and said that I was covered. I did not like this response. It sounded like passing the buck to a way to get paid for the work in the future.

What I am hearing is that the programming should be done to avoid the problem occurring in the future. I have very low mileage on my 2020 (~7,500) and would like to avoid the problem.

Please confirm FT1. I appreciate your feedback to this forum.
Although program 21B10 expired, it’s still available in a PCM software update. Definitely have the new software installed; it prevents the issue from developing. It shouldn’t cost more than 1 hour of labor time. Alternatively, if you know of a shop that has IDS with the latest updates, they can do the update as well.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just some more information for everyone and maybe it pertains to the expiration of all the cam phaser issues.
I bought my truck used in 2023 and it’s a 19 model. When I received the CARFAX report during the purchase, it showed the cam phasers done as a recall in 10/21 at 32K miles. Oddly after I purchased the truck as the second owner at 49K from a different dealership, the new Carfax report didn’t show the cam phaser recall. So I called the dealership in FL and gave them my VIN and they confirmed that it was done at that time. Why and who would remove this important information from this report? Sounds like Ford is trying to limit liability in the future or when it changes ownership does it drop off? Even the Service guy at Ford thought that was odd that it fell off. The second recall is still on there.
It’s all documented in Ford’s OASIS system, there is no conspiracy theory. Manufacturers do not control what is on a CarFax report, it’s all 3rd party.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
Although program 21B10 expired, it’s still available in a PCM software update. Definitely have the new software installed; it prevents the issue from developing. It shouldn’t cost more than 1 hour of labor time. Alternatively, if you know of a shop that has IDS with the latest updates, they can do the update as well.
I would think he would already have the new software since his recall was done in October of 21 considering the software came out in March of 21. I am under the impression the software hasnt changed since March of 21? The added supplements were just to extend the dates not actual software changes?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I take everything on CarFax with a grain of salt
Agreed. And from what I’ve heard their “guarantee” only applies if the damage/accident was officially reported. So if someone damaged their truck off road and paid out of pocket for repairs, it’s not going to be on the CarFax nor are they liable for it’s omission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would think he would already have the new software since his recall was done in October of 21 considering the software came out in March of 21. I am under the impression the software hasnt changed since March of 21? The added supplements were just to extend the dates not actual software changes?
Correct, same software since March 2021. So if he had his PCM updated since then he has the latest software.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, same software since March 2021. So if he had his PCM updated since then he has the latest software.
The challenge I've seen here is the TSB that some dealers reference (if done under powertrain warranty) vs the cust sat campaign (i can dig up the TSB number if needed), didn't mention doing a new cal.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The challenge I've seen here is the TSB that some dealers reference (if done under powertrain warranty) vs the cust sat campaign (i can dig up the TSB number if needed), didn't mention doing a new cal.
That’s because the software update was covered under 21B10. They don’t pay dealers to do software updates that are covered under another program.