Third time cam phaser failure anyone else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Third time is a charm. All oil changes done on time and by dealership. From what I remember roughly 12k first time second was around 38k third now 62k miles. I am not sure if the pcm update was done at anytime. Here is paperwork for one of the times it was in I think the first time. Truck is a 2017.

Attachments

• IMG_5014.png
    IMG_5014.png
    653.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5013.png
    IMG_5013.png
    681.5 KB · Views: 25

Lunnzz19

Reaction score
Can a dealership look up and see if the truck has updated software I'm not not having issues just wondering?

DCW Raptor 3

Reaction score
Yes. Have them pull an Oasis report.
Can you explain this more? My 2019 is in for cold start rattle, covered under warranty. Service writer didnt say anything about a software update. I hate telling folks how to do their job, but i dont want to address this again OUT of warranty…..how can i go to them educated and ask/make sure the software update is completed?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Can you explain this more? My 2019 is in for cold start rattle, covered under warranty. Service writer didnt say anything about a software update. I hate telling folks how to do their job, but i dont want to address this again OUT of warranty…..how can i go to them educated and ask/make sure the software update is completed?

Ask if they preformed the cam phaser software update. If not, ask them to do it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The software update was a recall that was issued in July of 2021, the truck should have been brought into the dealer at that time to have the recall completed. The program expired in August of last year. The software is still available on the scan tool, the dealer can install it by updating the PCM. That may charge you since they can’t claim it under warranty, but it’s a critical update.

DCW Raptor 3

Reaction score
The software update was a recall that was issued in July of 2021, the truck should have been brought into the dealer at that time to have the recall completed. The program expired in August of last year. The software is still available on the scan tool, the dealer can install it by updating the PCM. That may charge you since they can’t claim it under warranty, but it’s a critical update.
Thank you FTO, I'll call the service writer and ask her to make sure this is done, regardless if its covered or not.

DCW Raptor 3

Reaction score
Service writer said its a waste of money (because the recall is passed), that the new cam phaser parts do not require the software update to the PCM. Any way I can educate her tactfully without just saying I read it on the internet? Truck is done, ready for pickup, would love to get this addressed and not need another visit if I can help it.