Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No one can answer your questions with 100% certainty.

I'm seriously bummed about my Cam Phaser repair. I love my Raptor and feel like someone shot my dog over this. I'm trying to decide whether having the problem once predisposes the engine to repeated failure. No troll here. I really need some good info so I can decide whether to trust that the failure will not recur. Can anyone tell me whether it is "As good as new" after the repair? Is there any upgrade for the 2019 in this area?

Samraptor2017

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Reporting from the middle east. Apparently this curse is spreading all over. I got complains from a bunch of raptor owners and I'm one of them facing this same issue.

Before ordering the parts to fix this, tell your dealer to order the parts for a 2019. Apparently ford has done a slight change to their design but with no public announcements. This has been the solution for 6 raptors I know of, ranging from 17-18 only.
Im surprised they haven't announced a recall so far.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You need to me more specific. Telling folks to order parts from a 2019 is meaningless. Based on your advice you are assuming the 2019 parts are diff and thus have a diff part number?

Hey Guys,
Reporting from the middle east. Apparently this curse is spreading all over. I got complains from a bunch of raptor owners and I'm one of them facing this same issue.

Before ordering the parts to fix this, tell your dealer to order the parts for a 2019. Apparently ford has done a slight change to their design but with no public announcements. This has been the solution for 6 raptors I know of, ranging from 17-18 only.
Im surprised they haven't announced a recall so far.

Samraptor2017

Reaction score
You need to me more specific. Telling folks to order parts from a 2019 is meaningless. Based on your advice you are assuming the 2019 parts are diff and thus have a diff part number?

The mechanic at the ford dealership I quote "you have all of the 2019 parts on your 2018 engine you should be good as new"
Judging from what he said there is a slight difference of parts because people owning 17-18 faced the same issue. Im not sure about the part numbers, but apparently it solved most of their problems.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
again! Not helpful without part numbers

and once 19s stat suffering from this then we know it is all BS

The mechanic at the ford dealership I quote "you have all of the 2019 parts on your 2018 engine you should be good as new"
Judging from what he said there is a slight difference of parts because people owning 17-18 faced the same issue. Im not sure about the part numbers, but apparently it solved most of their problems.

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That statement does not mean the parts are different. It is a statement that somebody thinks the newest latest parts are of a new design. Part numbers have been posted, and no changes noted.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess I will go to page one and start reading.

Nothing at 19k. There is ticking when it first starts up but nothing after that.

jimmy012308

Reaction score
Damn so I am not currently an owner or troll I am just about to buy and have almost bought. I was initially looking at a 14 or 13 and figured if Im gonna spend 44 to 46k for a low mile all options and color I want might as well get a Gen2 for 10k more. But im skeptical after reading all this especially if it has occurred more than once already.

On a side note there are so many 19s in my area you can get them out the door fully loaded for like 64 65k so also scares me the value of the newer ones is dropping pretty fast.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Gen 2 is a much better and nicer truck in every way. (Flame suit deployed.) You should certainly put this factor into consideration as well.