Brown Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ted Schroeder

Ted Schroeder

Reaction score
I appreciate all the help from everyone. So many choices offered I just need to try a couple.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used Griot's Garage Black Satin Tire Coating on spare tires that had turned brown. I just sprayed it on and used a foam pad to even it out and get all of the sidewall covered. The tires looked like new after application and just needed touch up every 3-4 car washes. If they are really brown they will probably need to be cleaned first using one of the methods above though. This is the only satin finish tire "shine" I've ever found. I'm not a fan of the shiny look, just want them to look like they did new which this product achieves. It will also dry quickly and not sling all over the side of your vehicle like just about every other tire shine product sold. I also found it works great on the running boards for these trucks. My boards had faded badly due to sun exposure. I applied a light coating of this product and they looked like new again. I was worried it might make them slick but they have enough texture it wasn't a problem at all.
i use Long-Lasting tire Dressing from Griot,very good product

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like so many here, I've used Castrol's Super Clean for 30+ years. It cuts the impurities out of the rubber making it black again. I always try the next best/greatest tire cleaner to see of something is actually better, however, nothing that I have found has done as well for the low comparative cost.
I spray it on, keeping it off the wheels as much as possible. Give it a couple of minutes to cut the crud out of the rubber, and then take a stiff bristle wheel brush, put a squirt of Dawn dish soap on it, and scrub the rubber.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some help on a good tire cleaner. Power washed tires and tried some 303 wheel cleaner first to remove brown film on tire. Still had the brown look. I tried greased lightning but no big difference. I dress my tires with 3 M Tire Essentials don’t know if this has anything to do with the brown left when I clean them.

I have found after using several high end cleaners that Armor all wheel and tire cleaner despite being $5.99 has been better than anything else I've personally used on the market.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spray on Super Clean and allow it to soak a few minutes, followed by a stiff wheel brush with a good squirt of Dawn dish detergent. Super Clean melts the brown off the tires very well. For really browned tires, I sometimes have to hit them twice. This has worked for me for the past 20+ years.
Also, the knock off brands of Super Clean will work, just not as well. (like Purple Power - et al.)

Raptor Vet

Reaction score
You ALL are overthinking this.....Try Comet or Ajax powder.....Cheap nothing better....Cleans everything off....Then dress with your favorite tire dressing when they dry

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You ALL are overthinking this.....Try Comet or Ajax powder.....Cheap nothing better....Cleans everything off....Then dress with your favorite tire dressing when they dry
I'm going to give this a try, haven't bought comet in years, I guess they still sell that stuff, hopefully the dollar stores sell that cheap, lol.