Broken axle!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This light came up after the break. So guessing that side/sensor felt that there was no traction.
Except I would think that is based on wheel speed sensors and in that case that wheel isn’t getting anything. Maybe some mismatch in data between the front wheels, to what the transfer-case was thinking who knows. I’d rather have a mechanical drivetrain break like this than some electrical gremlin or engine failure.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
yeah, this is a warranty item, not a case of abuse from what you described. Unless Ford C/S authorizes a tow, they’re likely not going to cover your tow. 1500 smackers is a bit... extra... did the operator tell you up front or cajole you into the tow and hit you with the bill after?

My bet is: supply chain. defective part from an overseas supplier with a large population and communist regime.

We still haven’t gotten out from under the china virus, scandemic, panic & faux recovery. It will probably be mid 2025 before we return to some semblance of normalcy in the auto industry.

OP
OP
N

NotAnF150

Reaction score
yeah, this is a warranty item, not a case of abuse from what you described. Unless Ford C/S authorizes a tow, they’re likely not going to cover your tow. 1500 smackers is a bit... extra... did the operator tell you up front or cajole you into the tow and hit you with the bill after?

My bet is: supply chain. defective part from an overseas supplier with a large population and communist regime.

We still haven’t gotten out from under the china virus, scandemic, panic & faux recovery. It will probably be mid 2025 before we return to some semblance of normalcy in the auto industry.
They did quote before I authorized it. The reasoning was that the roads were almost impossible, and they have a hazard rate of $375/hr. The tow truck driver was actually a good dude, helped pull 2 other cars out of our driveway that couldn’t make it up, didn’t charge anything extra. And he showed up quick, whereas the ford roadside wasn’t able to send anyone. I could/should have negotiated with ford roadside to find my own tow, but I was pretty frustrated and just wanted to get the truck to the dealership and find out how I was going to get home. Took almost 9 hours from Tahoe to Santa Cruz. 4 adults and 4 kids packed into a ford expedition, in blizzard conditions, not recommended to anyone.

OP
OP
N

NotAnF150

Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. Another reason I lurk on this forum daily. I’ll update when I learn more.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
No way, no how that break is from what you describe. Has to be a defect. Sure, you're not supposed to drive in high traction situations in 4x4 but we've all done it and the truck will hope around a bit. Only thing I would think that would snap it if it was the only tire spinning really fast and it suddenly caught traction. Like really fast.

OP
OP
N

NotAnF150

Reaction score
No way, no how that break is from what you describe. Has to be a defect. Sure, you're not supposed to drive in high traction situations in 4x4 but we've all done it and the truck will hope around a bit. Only thing I would think that would snap it if it was the only tire spinning really fast and it suddenly caught traction. Like really fast.
It definitely never “caught”, it was really slippery. Not high traction at all. I am thinking defective part.

OP
OP
N

NotAnF150

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with Corwin Ford out of Reno? I have been “texting” with the service advisor, and not really getting quick answers. I need to figure out a loaner and he’s not really answering my questions. I do tend to be impatient, especially in these scenarios. Wondering if I would be better off getting my truck to a dealership where I have a relationship with the service manager.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats a hefty tow from reno to santa cruz. ford roadside will take you to the nearest dealer only. unless you got a truck and trailer to haul it, but still $500 in gas and a day of travel is a lot. you might be stuck with the dealer, however justin @Pacific Wheel might know someone. he is in that area

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Driveway is dead straight, and I wasn’t really turning. May have turned after the break.

Born and raised in deep boulder creek, so no stranger to 4wd.

Storms are doing their best, the pier at the cement ship is gone. Capitola wharf falling apart. West cliff washed out. It’s been a crazy set of storms.
i have had friends send me pics of capitola. their restaurant was destroyed. it was the last one on the esplanade, next to zeldas. and what looks to be south of pleasure point where the road is washed out. lot of destruction along the coast

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
thats a hefty tow from reno to santa cruz. ford roadside will take you to the nearest dealer only. unless you got a truck and trailer to haul it, but still $500 in gas and a day of travel is a lot. you might be stuck with the dealer, however justin @Pacific Wheel might know someone. he is in that area

Hey guys, I personally use Capital Ford in Carson City when needed. Corwin is getting better since they bought that dealership but still working out the kinks with employee's/technicians.

If you don't need the dealership check with the following shops and feel free to drop my name

Nates Precision (does all my work but typically booked out weeks)
Adam's High Rolling Customs ask for Adam
Acuna Total Car Care Ask for Cesar or his wife Jasmine
Fobeck 4WD Ask for Donny