Borla tailpipes vs stock tailpipes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason to drop 800-1200 on Borla tailpipes? Assuming you don't give a shit about the tips color or material. Their S-Type and Atack systems work with stock tailspipes, so unless there's added performance or sound (I can't find any info on either), I don't understand why anybody would buy their tailpipes. Anybody know?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Borla tailpipe kits are more for looks than anything else. Although, they are mandrel-bent unlike stock. No real performance gain.

Let us know if we can help get you setup with the S-Type or ATAK mid-pipe kits. We’ve got them in stock!

royCfus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason to drop 800-1200 on Borla tailpipes? Assuming you don't give a shit about the tips color or material. Their S-Type and Atack systems work with stock tailspipes, so unless there's added performance or sound (I can't find any info on either), I don't understand why anybody would buy their tailpipes. Anybody know?
I have the ATAK. If had to do it all over again I wouldnt. Didnt notice any performance or fuel mileage gains. It comes with an H pipe that cuts out the stock resonator which made it VERY loud, almost obnoxious to me. I added the Borla resonator #60650 which helped a ton. Has a low but faint "V8" like idle but again it is faint and have to be right on it to hear. As soon as you give it gas it sounds like the ecoboost again. All in all not worth the price I paid.

OP
OP
L

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Borla tailpipe kits are more for looks than anything else. Although, they are mandrel-bent unlike stock. No real performance gain.

Let us know if we can help get you setup with the S-Type or ATAK mid-pipe kits. We’ve got them in stock!

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

OP
OP
L

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the ATAK. If had to do it all over again I wouldnt. Didnt notice any performance or fuel mileage gains. It comes with an H pipe that cuts out the stock resonator which made it VERY loud, almost obnoxious to me. I added the Borla resonator #60650 which helped a ton. Has a low but faint "V8" like idle but again it is faint and have to be right on it to hear. As soon as you give it gas it sounds like the ecoboost again. All in all not worth the price I paid.

I'm only looking at the S-Type, the ATAK seems too aggressive for me. And I won't be buying it for performance, I just hate the stock sound. I don't think I'll love any sound this motor produces honestly but from all teh vids I've heard the S-Type does seem like an improvement over stock.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can actually spend less, and get tips with built in resonators. It will calm the aftermarket systems down

Screenshot_20190109-162031.png

OP
OP
L

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a post on another forum that gives additional details if anybody's interested:

Hey All - I reached out directly to Borla re: difference between Borla S-type and Ford Performance Sport, and they responded quickly (thanks Borla). Based on this info, I'm going with Borla mid-section only (S or ATAK TBD). Below is what they told me:

"WE do make the Ford Racing systems for the Raptor and I would be glad to go over the differences between your options.

First, the Borla system is sold as two parts. The front x-pipe and muffler assembly are sold as one set and the tailpipes with our tips and new heat shielding are sold as a second set. The majority of our system is 2.75” but the pipes coming out of the muffler are 3” just so you can connect this to the stock 3” pipes or our tailpipes. The Ford Racing option is only available as a full Cat-Back and we decided to leave this as a full 2.75” system. It would be difficult to measure any difference in the performance and we have tuned the mufflers to take the respective sizes into account.

With regards to sound, the Ford racing system is noticeably quieter both at idle and under acceleration. If you can describe the type of sound you are looking for I should be able to point you in the right directly. I would also recommend taking a second look at the ATAK system, it is not much louder the our S-type system but it will provide a more aggressive tone that is higher pitch compared to the S-type which is a very low bass tone. All systems are guaranteed to be drone free.

If you choose to go with the Borla branded system you will see the vast majority of the sound improvement from the mid muffler section with only a small change from the tailpipes. The primary reason to purchase the tailpipes is for the heat shielding and the tips".

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the S-Type and I like it. It is loud though but everyone who asks to hear it has said wow it sounds bad ass. It’s not going to sound like a V8 though so if you’re expecting anything close then you’ll be disappointed.

If you’re happy with the stock exhaust your money may be better spend on other upgrades like a tune, leafs, or wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cao0215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do their atak+ resanator+tailpipe, so far it’s good, not much loud, no drone, cold start in winter is not terrible and resanator is must have parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk