Best setting for soft sand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OregonSVT

Reaction score
I found that in a 2012 with front torsen it is better to run in sport mode. This allows the Raptor to detect front wheel spin and apply the brakes to the spinning wheel to transfer torque/power to nonspinning tire. With traction control off (at least in mud) you have to saw the front wheels back and forth more to dig in and get traction. In sport mode you can actually feel it damn near walking out by itself..

-Greg

Greg, this doesn't make much sense to me. If one wheel is spinning faster, the Torsen will begin to engage without any electronics. What you are describing with the brakes being applied by the traction control is how vehicles without a mechanical means of a limited slip can control wheel spin. The Torsen should work the same way all of the time with 4wd engaged and should not require help from the traction control unless a wheel is off the ground or has very minimal traction. Maybe in severe ice or very loose sand this might be the case.

Banned
Reaction score
Greg, this doesn't make much sense to me. If one wheel is spinning faster, the Torsen will begin to engage without any electronics. What you are describing with the brakes being applied by the traction control is how vehicles without a mechanical means of a limited slip can control wheel spin. The Torsen should work the same way all of the time with 4wd engaged and should not require help from the traction control unless a wheel is off the ground or has very minimal traction. Maybe in severe ice or very loose sand this might be the case.

depends how much its spinning, a torsen needs some resistance to work. so if the spinning tire has absolutely zero, then it cant be multiplied and sent over to the other wheels. its like a math problem 0X3=0
so what the raptors traction control system does is applies the brakes to the spinning wheel, to give it more resistance therefore giving the wheel with traction, more power to get you through whatever it is you are going through.

im not positive, but i think in the rap, even if the spinning wheel has enough resistance to give the non spinning wheel power, will still apply a bit of brake to help it out. at least that's how i understand it.

I have a rear torsen diff in my ranger, and i don't have traction control. so if i have one wheel up in the air, i have to apply a bit of rear brake to get the other tire to pull me through.

BUT, i could be wrong. someone can correct me if thats the case

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
depends how much its spinning, a torsen needs some resistance to work. so if the spinning tire has absolutely zero, then it cant be multiplied and sent over to the other wheels. its like a math problem 0X3=0
so what the raptors traction control system does is applies the brakes to the spinning wheel, to give it more resistance therefore giving the wheel with traction, more power to get you through whatever it is you are going through.

im not positive, but i think in the rap, even if the spinning wheel has enough resistance to give the non spinning wheel power, will still apply a bit of brake to help it out. at least that's how i understand it.

I have a rear torsen diff in my ranger, and i don't have traction control. so if i have one wheel up in the air, i have to apply a bit of rear brake to get the other tire to pull me through.

BUT, i could be wrong. someone can correct me if thats the case

You are spot on. When you are on jeep trail and slide into one of their deep mud filled ruts. In my 2011 you would spin the front tire in the in the mud, and end up stuck. In my 2012 instead of the tire in the rut spinning, the traction control kicks in and applies the brake to that tire, and the front tire firmly planted on the ground digs in, and saves you from youtube hall of shame.

Since the tire on the firm ground has traction, the power will go to the wheel with least resistance. And no resistance (without traction control) from the tire in the mud.

-Greg

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
8 psi, is this with the factory wheels/tires or with a bead-lock setup?

At the silver lake dunes by us I ussually run 12psi in the front and 8.5-10psi in the rear on stock wheels and tires. As long as you are not doing circles with this setup you will be fine. I was running this setup during this picture.

IMG950419-1.png

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are spot on. When you are on jeep trail and slide into one of their deep mud filled ruts. In my 2011 you would spin the front tire in the in the mud, and end up stuck. In my 2012 instead of the tire in the rut spinning, the traction control kicks in and applies the brake to that tire, and the front tire firmly planted on the ground digs in, and saves you from youtube hall of shame.

Since the tire on the firm ground has traction, the power will go to the wheel with least resistance. And no resistance (without traction control) from the tire in the mud.

-Greg

Felt the same thing when temporarily suck in the mud pit on the back half of the TRR. It's amazing how you can literally feel the front end "walk" out. My co driver and I looked at each other in amazement.

Joe

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Wow you guys are NUTS running that low of PSI!
Watched this happen at 15psi I think.
IMG_1749.jpg
I wont go below 30 just because you loose the ability to fully engage ORM. And I can kick it sideways without having to worry.

Banned
Reaction score
I can go down to 8 psi and not even be close to worried.
Jealous? I know you are ;)
Ha

Last edited:

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow you guys are NUTS running that low of PSI!
Watched this happen at 15psi I think.
IMG_1749.jpg
I wont go below 30 just because you loose the ability to fully engage ORM. And I can kick it sideways without having to worry.

Everytime we have been to the dunes I run sub 15psi. Jumped the truck, power slide the truck etc. While I'm sure given the right circumstance the bead could seperate from the truck it hasn't. Also being that low allowed me to be in 2wd almost the whole time.

At 30psi you wouldn't make it up test hill at Silver Lake without a huge running start. The sand there is usually ultra soft. The kind of sand that when you walk with bare feet it squeeks.

With our JK jeep we usually run around 6-7psi out there.

f16YODA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump!

This is good info on running in sand/mud, but what about snow? I'm going out tomorrow and we still have areas with 1-2 feet of snow. Temps today and tomorrow are going to be (finally) above freezing, so the snow will be mushy if not full on slushy. I was planning to air down somewhat, but what's a good number? 20? 25? I have stock tires and wheels. Thanks guys!

Have at you!
- YODA :Jedi: