Best setting for soft sand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRASIK_Cdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that the most important factor is the air pressure in your tires. If you are willing to drop it down to 20 psi or so you can get through most anything as long as you keep moving. In the Imperial Sand Dunes I'll run this and I usually have little problem getting around (and that's in a Chevy 2500 work truck with no Off Road Mode- just 4WD). I'll even drop it down to 13-15 psi if I get stuck.

All the rest of the stuff most definitely helps, but it's the air pressure that will often make or break it. I've seen people buried to the frame within 100 yards of pavement and they are amazed that they got stuck. They didn't realize that it doesn't matter much if you have 4WD if your tires at 50 psi+ (even with "off road tires").

Omani-Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens if you face soft sand high speed steep incline hill , would you use the lock or keep it open ? Other things being equal , low air pressure , 4Lo..etc
What I'm facing is raptor weight , I keep distance from the hill then hammer it all the way up , but since I cannot do anything about weight , the raptor looses momentum and struggles to climb then it stucks and I reverse down...

, what do u suggest in terms of settings and mods ? I already have full SW long tube exhaust system + afe intake + tune + daystar 2" leveling kit .

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely lock. It'll give you more traction, and air way down. If you gonna be doing this a lot, get some beadlocks and air down even further

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I found that in a 2012 with front torsen it is better to run in sport mode. This allows the Raptor to detect front wheel spin and apply the brakes to the spinning wheel to transfer torque/power to nonspinning tire. With traction control off (at least in mud) you have to saw the front wheels back and forth more to dig in and get traction. In sport mode you can actually feel it damn near walking out by itself..

-Greg

Lonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just came back from pismo beach, ran 25 psi, sport mode, and went everywhere I wanted it too. Even dragged a lifted 01 f150 w/ 18ft carson toy hauler from the beach all the way to camp (about 150 yards)
0-3EBD-446B-A721-C8D41F67B4E2-538-000000421FE2D5FD.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc