Best bang for you buck performance parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IndianaRaptor

Reaction score
I have a 2018 SCAB been getting the suspension dialed in the way I like. Now I’m looking into bumpers and performance parts. Seems like for most of these aftermarket bumpers require the intercooler to be moved. So I’ve been looking into the ADD top mounted intercooler. Seems like a quality product. Do you notice a real difference after installing it ? Also any input into best mods to do next would be appreciated.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All these truck really need is a tune, can get em in the mid/high 12's w/ tune only through the 1/4 - that IS PLENTY fast for a 1/2 ton offroad pickup, & not that far behind a TRX, I believe tuned Raptors can move as fast 4.2 0-60mph, although i think 4.4-4.6 is more common

After that the only real power adders before you get into stroking the motor (which people have done) would be turbo adpaters, downpipes, & of course larger turbos - check out Gearhead tuning for those, I think you can do some ethanol/methanol setups too

At the end of the day though no single mod aside from a tune is going to have as big an impact on overall performance

Better intercooler if you live in a warmer climate and/or will be really pushing the truck hard offroad regularly - and in the case IMHO a stock mount location unit is much better than a big "FMIC" that can be seen through the grill & blocks the engine rad - there are different schools of thought on that though, an IC won't add power but will help the truck to keep producing that peak power consistently

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 2018 SCAB been getting the suspension dialed in the way I like. Now I’m looking into bumpers and performance parts. Seems like for most of these aftermarket bumpers require the intercooler to be moved. So I’ve been looking into the ADD top mounted intercooler. Seems like a quality product. Do you notice a real difference after installing it ? Also any input into best mods to do next would be appreciated.

From a performance standpoint, a tune is definitely your best bang for the buck as far as performance goes. I see that @GooseTuned commented above and they've been a great resource for a number of our clients and even tune our 2020 Raptor.

Regarding intercoolers, they will definitely help with performance by keeping your charge air temps much cooler than the stock unit. The OEM intercooler is hands down the biggest weak-link in the performance of these trucks, from a hard parts standpoint. It alone will not necessarily add power, but it will help you maintain power across the RPM band.

One thing that was concerning was your comment about most aftermarket bumpers requiring an intercooler. That's not quite the case. Unless you're cutting your frame or adding a winch, most bumpers on the market do not need an aftermarket FMIC. Feel free to send me a message if we can help with your aftermarket bumpers or a performance upgrade.

moog5050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2019 with a goosedtuned tune, cobb trans tune and larger intercooler. Runs like a scared rabbit. I really don't need more (except maybe an e50 or e85 tune lol). Honestly, my biggest problem is that I am constantly losing traction now.

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go in this order:

1. No lift/stock height: Rear Leaf Springs and or Traction Bars

OR

2. Mild Lift: Front Springs (Eibach/Geiser) and Rear Leaf Springs and or Traction Bars

3. FMIC, turbo adapters, tune.

I don't see much difference with my custom tune compared to the OTS stage 2 maps. Maybe its because i've been data logging during the process. The only noticeable difference is that the boost levels are lower compared to the OTS maps.

I could easily break traction and chirp the tires in 3rd with the OTS map, but i havent with the custom one.