Am i the only one that likes the original BFG's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bearleeasian- Yes mid perch only and no rubbing. Plenty of clearance. I have done some light to moderate off-roading as well. No issues.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Bullet- This may sound silly, but the difference in the appearance of the truck is quite noticeable. It really fills out the well, and looks to me like the truck was made for 37's.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea i like them not too agresive, they seem perfect for my application, i only have a tuner, exhaust and intake, so something that is a little bigger but not much much heavier seems perfect for me

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White letters out looks cool with your truck. How would you describe the ride?

Thanks! The ride is very similar to the factory 35's...although the 37's are a bit smoother if you can imagine that. I was in North Carolina last weekend driving thru the mountains, and got caught in some very heavy rains with standing water on the interstate. I found myself slowing down, anticipating the tires would "grab" on one side or the other...but not even a tap was felt in the steering. I eventually got to where I didn't slow down (60-70'ish), whereas other vehicles were 45-55. I would still catch myself tensing up in anticipation of steering input...but there was nothing. It was as though the road was bone dry. I was very impressed.

I have had 3 sets of the bfg's on 3 different trucks and had nothing but great things to say about them. I will tell you that I think the stock ones on our raptors were some kind of special compound that did not wear very well. There is a thread on here that talks about an "r" and an "s" version. I cant remember which one is the ones just for the raptor, but when I traded my 35's in last week at discount tire, my buddy is the manager and had his best tech on the switch. He looked at my stock tires, and said look at the difference in the compound is compared to the ones I was getting. He also stated the raptor comes with different BFG's than the 37's I ordered. Sorry I cannot be more specific, but that might explain why so many guys complain about the stock ones off-road. I truly believe the stock ones are different than the after market ones. This guy does tires all day and he was adamant about it.

One final note. For those of us who spend most of our time on pavement, I think the BFG's are the best all around tire. Sure off-road they suffer some compared to a mudder, but how many people really spend more time in the dirt than on pavement? Very few I would guess. For the hardcore off-roaders, get 2 sets and it is all good. There is a reason the BFG AT's are the most widely sold AT of all time, because they appeal to most of what we have the truck for. Predominately road use, and at best weekend light to moderate off-roading. It is the best all around use tire for moderate climates.

I couldn't agree more with what you've said.

I too have run BFG AT's on several of my other previous 4x4 trucks. They ride great and are probably the lightest tire of its size. They are excellent on pavement, packed dirt and rock. That said...they make terrible mud tires. One revolution, and the AT's are a damn glazed doughnut. You just can't clean them well during spinout. Anyone who thinks they are good in "real" mud (not just slinging mud in your front yard after a rain shower), never used real mud tires lol. As much as I hate to say it...but in mud, soft soil, damp grass, or very loose terrain...my Jeep (Mud Tires) will go in 2 wheel drive, where my Raptor needs 4 wheel drive. Not an indication that the Raptor can't hang with my Jeep...just that AT's can't hang with MT's.

Also on the BFG AT's, I've heard mixed reports of snow traction (generally negative), although I cannot express an opinion on that, since I don't drive the Raptor in the snow (Jeep is for that). Also reports are that the AT's are good in sand (I can buy into that since sand will expel from the tread groves)...and ice (well ok, if "they" say so lol).

If your rig is 75% on-road with no real mudding expectations...the AT's are the best match for the Raptor IMO. I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a better street mannered tire than the AT...and the white letters alone are reason enough to go BFG!

84B8E1F4-6D1C-481E-95A0-7330E25D4FE8_zpslcoye0ef.jpg

Last edited:

swampfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know that I'll ever change wheels but I don't plan on changing tires. I like the stocks bfg's as well.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will add, mine got eaten up mainly on rocky terrain like forestry roads, etc where I spent most of my time spinning tires and drifting around turns, etc. They did great during Snoball '14, even with the constant drifting and doing everything I could to get the truck out of shape.

For mudflaps, check out the link below and let me know if you have any questions.

https://raptor-svt.freedommotorsports.us/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1126_1289_1313