Alcon Front BBK Installed on 2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doba_s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50 feet shorter. Nice.

Fronts do 80% of the braking. A BBK in the rear is simply for showing off. Factory rear brakes can easily lock up the rear tires and nobody is melting the rear pads...

Alcon should look into going with a disc that's not so wide so we can still run the stock tie rod. All that extra rotor beef isn't needed at all, we aren't lapping a road course in these things. Thermal mass is nice and all, but when it causes you to have to ream the spindle and requires other aftermarket parts, it's time to re-think if it's truly a benefit or a drawback.

The rear brakes are absolutely not for SHOWING OFF. A proper BBK kit for both axels will reduce thermal shock on front brakes and keep temps of the front rotors more consistent.

The only reason why Alcon feels better is because you have C pattern slots and more aggressive brake pads.

My guess is the reason why they went with a thicker rotor is to increase air gap in the veins to improve heat dissipation.

Overall it may be an improvement but I don't think it will do very well in "racing" conditions and for the street it may be a bit pointless. If anything getting a better brake pads for the stock caliper/rotor may be the way to go for the street guys.

I'll be trying a set of Endless pads on my truck and will be happy to share my thoughts once I get them on.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
it is definitely not just the pad material or rotor surface design.

I've tried EBC and powerstop rotors and almost every pad compound from both companies.

marginal difference at best once you get them hot.

y'all may think about this in terms of a race track, and for some reason think that a road course is more abusive than driving hard in the desert.

it isnt. Instead of just jamming on the brakes in a braking zone, then letting off, we're standing on the brakes, stabbing them in the turn, dragging them through the backside of the turn ( if you came in a little hot) and our braking applications are more frequent with less time in between.

and that is just pre-running at a decent pace.

add in the dirt, silt, rocks, cacti, water, brush, grease etc and off-road vehicles eat brakes at a much much faster rate than a track car.

Alson didnt design the kit like miniature trophy truck brakes for the street.

I'll take durable rotors that work, calipers that maintain their seals and pads that last more than 500 miles in the dirt for my money.

if you dont use your brakes like i do, buy something cheaper if that is what spins your bowtie.

I havent heard one person running alcons complain about them, other than the price of replacement rotors from alcon.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Now that we have the size clarified, with it being the same sized rotor as stock, I'm very surprised there is such a massive difference in stopping distances. A 30% reduction in stopping distance with the same sized rotors and no change in the master cylinder seems- odd. Not doubting your test results though- I'm sure you are not faking anything here. I gotta think that most of that is in the pad material vs the OEM pads.

Do we have numbers on the piston area vs stock calipers?

What pads due they use in these? Are they standard pad sizes from a production vehicle or are they proprietary?

We'd be risking our reputation if we put anything out there that wasn't accurate and we will never compromise our integrity so I do appreciate you trusting our content.

Trust me when I say that I was as surprised as you with the results. I expected the brake fade to be improved, but was blown away by the improvement in initial bite. One of my other vehicles at the time was an F82 M4 and the initial braking onset feel was similar between the M4 and the Alcon-equipped Raptor.

I don't have actual data on the piston area of Alcon vs stock, but I will say that the Alcon kit is significantly larger.

Also, the Alcon pads are specific to this kit.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't check the piston surface area, but stock is 2 pistons, alcon is 6?

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is definitely not not a plug and play kit , just installed on my 2010 , had to purchase 2012 newer parking brake assemblies that i didn't know till last min good thing i looked at instructions a few weeks ago. Extra $400 that i was not expecting . This requires axles to be pulled to install assemblies , then you have to figure out bolts to axle tubes for new assemblies they are different, and bolts to caliper adapter nothing in instructions . 2nd issue was banjo bolts on my 10 are 3/8 24 thread and alcons are threaded 10mm x 1.0 . When i called alcon they said the never had fitment issues and to cut stock banjo bolt that was too long and fit loose in the threads. It should be fine as threads are close but not. I wasn't comfortable as this bolt needs to be torqued properly and you don't **** around with braking or steering components. I found 10mm x 1.0 banjo bolts locally and was able to get them installed. I have a follow up email to send Alcon this stuff should of been listed in instructions. I like to have have all the parts ahead of time before tearing a truck apart in your driveway. Everything bolted up and i installed SDHQ brakeline and was able to flush system with Motul RBF600 DOT 5.1 brake fluid.

Brakes perform very well after the bed in process , They grab hard when you lay into them the whole ass end of the truck starts coming up just like the video and i have 2 spares and chase rack in the back. i was able to get get Abs pulsing on one hard stop dry pavement this is with 37's and toyo Mt open country tire. Stock brakes would never do that on dry pavement even dirt it was hard to engage ABS with stock brakes. I am happy overall but the install process was a pain with not enough information that should be included in instructions. For what this kit costs should of had more details in the instructions. Kit was purchased from Apollo in spring time and sat in garage till weather cooled down. Alcon could not give me any bolt sizes or thread pitches ,very frustrating.

front (1).jpg

front (2).jpg

rear out.jpg

rear.jpg

Last edited: