Alcon Brake Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah... struggling with same issues.

R1 = Quality? Durable off-road? However, proven kit fitment, with great options, good customer service, good references here on the forum, great and knowledgable distributor (Freedom MotorSports) but more than just a road-centric solution and great looks?

Alcon = Quality, but built for an application and wheel size that is not a good fit for me. Especially at that price. Required extra tie rod kit only adds more $$ to an already pricey kit.

Wilwood = Quality for sure, solid history and experience in truck applications. But poor commitment by the company to fitment. I believe this solution can be "made to fit" (others have clearly done it with good results). Just expecting some additional labor hours at the shop and additional parts required (new rear line fittings, longer front lines, possible front tie rod kit needed) to get things to work. Erodes their value price and any plug and play expectation and puts them at a total price equal with the others.

RB = unknown & unproven on trucks more or less Raptor, but with cool tech and a promising solution/story that has the potential to address a real need (bigger wheel, hybrid on-road/off-road, solid build). Note: Still have not see pricing yet from them to see how viable they may actually be ;)

Brembo = All good if you have $9k to drop.

Tony,

I wanted to update you on the Alcon kit. This month, we're now offering the kit for $5400 as a factory authorized price for Black Friday.

Additionally, the kit has been updated for the 2017+ Raptors and tie rods/tie rod adapters are no longer required.

The kit is $5400 shipped to your door front and rear.

The Wilwood kit isn't as difficult as you mentioned. We can package them with the lines you need and have done it for customers in the past. Tie rod kit may be needed on some trucks. Wilwood cannot confirm and blames Ford for using two different tie rod manufacturers. However, keep in mind that the kit requires 20" wheels and the factory 17" spare will not fit. So you may incur additional expense going with an extra 20" wheel and tire to fit. Or, run without a spare.

Additionally, we're also a Brembo dealer and would be happy to offer you a quote and pricing.

Frankly, I'm an Alcon fan for multiple reasons and we run the Alcon kit on our shop truck.

BADASSRAPTOR

Reaction score
Tony,

I wanted to update you on the Alcon kit. This month, we're now offering the kit for $5400 as a factory authorized price for Black Friday.

Additionally, the kit has been updated for the 2017+ Raptors and tie rods/tie rod adapters are no longer required.

The kit is $5400 shipped to your door front and rear.

The Wilwood kit isn't as difficult as you mentioned. We can package them with the lines you need and have done it for customers in the past. Tie rod kit may be needed on some trucks. Wilwood cannot confirm and blames Ford for using two different tie rod manufacturers. However, keep in mind that the kit requires 20" wheels and the factory 17" spare will not fit. So you may incur additional expense going with an extra 20" wheel and tire to fit. Or, run without a spare.

Additionally, we're also a Brembo dealer and would be happy to offer you a quote and pricing.

Frankly, I'm an Alcon fan for multiple reasons and we run the Alcon kit on our shop truck.

I think this is an amazing deal! You just helped me make my mind.
Perhaps you also know how do Wilwoods compare to Alcons?? Braking distance , built quality . Anything you can share.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you also know how do Wilwoods compare to Alcons?? Braking distance , built quality . Anything you can share.
Thanks

If your deciding between Alcon and Wilwood and have 20” wheels I would go wilwood hands down!

Larger Aluminum calipers with larger two piece rotors should destroy the iron calipers and one piece small heavy Alcon rotors in stopping power. Plus the wilwood comes with stainless lines.

My R1 have been phenomenal! Just cleaned and checked them at my 4K oil change and tire rotation perfect:)
a28f29b0ae123e83a4b2836592c1b99b.jpge511adb590fede1968c56f676d85f49d.jpga5f92e20e031a6db3bf1a94d32ed1366.jpg

I

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks

We carry them all, but I tend to view the Wilwood kit as second tier to Alcon. It’s just more generic and not as Raptor specific as the Alcon kit. Especially with regards to the off-road style of the Alcon kit (1-piece rotors, ductile iron calipers, c-slotted rotors).

We tested the Alcon kit on our shop truck with 20” VenomRex 601 wheels and 325/60/20 tires and we achieved a stopping distance of 105 feet from 60-0mph.

Had we been rocking 17” wheels and OEM tires, we would have been under 100ft. I haven’t seen another kit on the market that has proven distances as low as what we’ve seen on the Alcon kit.

Plus, you won’t have to swap your spare for a 20” wheel and tire like you will for the Wilwood Kit.

Between the two, I choose Alcon. We only intended to run the Alcon kit for testing, but ended up loving it so much, we kept it on the truck.

Also, if you want to upgrade to SS lines, we can coordinate that for you as well.

BADASSRAPTOR

Reaction score
We carry them all, but I tend to view the Wilwood kit as second tier to Alcon. It’s just more generic and not as Raptor specific as the Alcon kit. Especially with regards to the off-road style of the Alcon kit (1-piece rotors, ductile iron calipers, c-slotted rotors).

We tested the Alcon kit on our shop truck with 20” VenomRex 601 wheels and 325/60/20 tires and we achieved a stopping distance of 105 feet from 60-0mph.

Had we been rocking 17” wheels and OEM tires, we would have been under 100ft. I haven’t seen another kit on the market that has proven distances as low as what we’ve seen on the Alcon kit.

Plus, you won’t have to swap your spare for a 20” wheel and tire like you will for the Wilwood Kit.

Between the two, I choose Alcon. We only intended to run the Alcon kit for testing, but ended up loving it so much, we kept it on the truck.

Also, if you want to upgrade to SS lines, we can coordinate that for you as well.

This is a great post! Finally some real numbers for comparison.
Would you happen to have some photos of the truck with 20” wheels and Alcons?
Because that sounds like the exact setup I was going after.

But now probably do a 37/12.5R18s (+1 offset) and Alcons.
Also how much are the SS lines for the Alcon kit?

Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited:

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wilwood kits run shims to get the calipers to sit evenly on the rotor. I can't understand why they can't machine the caliper brackets to exact dimensions.

BADASSRAPTOR

Reaction score
Wilwood kits run shims to get the calipers to sit evenly on the rotor. I can't understand why they can't machine the caliper brackets to exact dimensions.

So clearly Wilwoods are inferior to Alcons. Easy choice now.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
If you need someone else to do "testing", I'm happy to throw alcons on my truck.

you supply them, and I'll do whatever tests y'all would like ( save for shooting them or blowing the truck up):angels2:.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is a great post! Finally some real numbers for comparison.
Would you happen to have some photos of the truck with 20” wheels and Alcons?
Because that sounds like the exact setup I was going after.

But now probably do a 37/12.5R18s (+1 offset) and Alcons.
Also how much are the SS lines for the Alcon kit?

Thanks again for your reply.

Here are a few pictures for you:

66eea41ec41e6b20ab489a9a29b3ba1d.jpg
a377940795a33c3742d2cc5f8d60077b.jpg

Rear Fitment:
7e0cb6ee152d97f871040c9e5009ec26.jpg
921152d83dc43df5266dd2ff7fb9d968.jpg

Additionally, if you haven’t seen it yet, here’s the video we made doing testing of the Alcon kit:

Please note: this video mentioned the ADD Tie Rod Adapters which are no longer requires on 2017+ Raptors.

Since the Alcon kit is made to be used with OEM lines, any aftermarket alternative that is designed to fit the OEM braking system will fit Alcon. We like the lines from Crown. They’re SS lines and Kevlar coated. Pricing is $219 shipped for all lines (front and rear).

Since you mentioned that you intend to run 18” wheels, here’s a look of the Alcon kit with 17” wheels for you to see as well.

a2c77e41cce494311d2e29d605affc9e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter