Alcon Brake Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReefBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket rotor is wider than the factor rotor. The balljoint end on the factory tie rod is a lot wider than the helm link end on the ADD Tie Rod Adapter Kit or on full replacement tie rods with heim ends. The heim ends allows the necessary clearance over the balljoint end because it’s not as wide.

Does that make sense?
That makes sense.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you mean disc thickness or diameter? because the alcon discs are of a smaller diameter

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
did you mean disc thickness or diameter? because the alcon discs are of a smaller diameter

The disc thickness. The Alcon discs thickness is 36mm front and 32mm rear.

Front rotor diameter is 347mm (13.46") and rear rotor diameter is 360mm (14.0"). The front rotors are smaller than rear due to the larger caliper clearance. 6 piston front, 4 piston rear.

Tony Ferrugia

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with RackingBrake (RB) on their Gen2 or otherwise?

Looking to pull the trigger on a BBK for my Gen2 and these guys popped up as a last minute option to Wilwood, Alcon, and R1 Concepts.

Looks like they have cool "tech" (at least on paper)
- Concentric rotor vane design
- Center Mount rotor design (claim better airflow/cooling)
- Open hole slotted face vs. slotted or drilled.
- Iron ring inside alum rear rotor hat to give weight reduction but still work with OEM manual parking brake

Also appears they have put the extra cost in to the product to make it more durable
- Integrated Piston Dust seals vs. slap on boots or no dust seals at all on others
- True hard anodized caliper finish option vs. painted, powder coated or std anodized
- High carbon rotors with claim of Brinell hardness of 185-215 (much harder than others = better wear life and damage resistance)
- Pad springs to minimize pad movement and noise

Looks like these guys have been a playing in the BMW, Porsche, and Nissan GTR game for awhile with many good posts about solid performance on road and with light-med track duty (track days). Similar to R1.

Big question is that cool tech (especially on paper) does not always directly correlate to great implementation.

My thought/hope is that this could be a nice fit between a very purpose built off-road kit like Alcon, and some of the other more road-centric kits like R1 (my opinion only) offering a nice compromise between bigger wheel/rotor options and a more durable design that can hold up to some off-road use.

Spoke to RB briefly and they are pitching a 390mm (6piston) front, and 380mm (4 position) rear kit. Kit seems new... very new :-/

Again it is all in the implementation... you can have a bunch of cool components but that does not make a Gen2 Raptor BBK that will be easy to install and work reliably on a 6,000 pound brick with 20" wheels, big heavy 35" tires, high center of gravity, and a lot more HP now after a tune (slightly different than a BMW 3series on track day).

Anybody with any real experience with RB? Not sure I want to be the Raptor Guinea Pig (at least without some assurance of a positive outcome), but the promise of what it "could deliver" has my attention.

Thanks

BADASSRAPTOR

Reaction score
I’d be interested in getting some input as well. Alcons seem great but I’d like to have a larger size rotors on my truck with 20” wheels. R1 concepts are made in China (as per Alcons website) so they are out of the question with their non Chinese made pricing. Wilwoods cant/won’t confirm proper fitment for their 6piston front kit any longer . Which is strange. So what’s left?..Brembos ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Ferrugia

Reaction score
Yeah... struggling with same issues.

R1 = Quality? Durable off-road? However, proven kit fitment, with great options, good customer service, good references here on the forum, great and knowledgable distributor (Freedom MotorSports) but more than just a road-centric solution and great looks?

Alcon = Quality, but built for an application and wheel size that is not a good fit for me. Especially at that price. Required extra tie rod kit only adds more $$ to an already pricey kit.

Wilwood = Quality for sure, solid history and experience in truck applications. But poor commitment by the company to fitment. I believe this solution can be "made to fit" (others have clearly done it with good results). Just expecting some additional labor hours at the shop and additional parts required (new rear line fittings, longer front lines, possible front tie rod kit needed) to get things to work. Erodes their value price and any plug and play expectation and puts them at a total price equal with the others.

RB = unknown & unproven on trucks more or less Raptor, but with cool tech and a promising solution/story that has the potential to address a real need (bigger wheel, hybrid on-road/off-road, solid build). Note: Still have not see pricing yet from them to see how viable they may actually be ;)

Brembo = All good if you have $9k to drop.