Aftermarket mods, will I recoup dollars spent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You may increase the value somewhat with a mod, but never what you paid for it. You generally have the type that wants everything OEM, and then you have the type that want to mod there truck. They don't want to buy a mod truck, they want to do it themselves, as that's part of the fun of it.

Aftermarket parts are kind of like legos. A lego set in pieces in a box is more valuable than a set already put together.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
It's easy to spend $10 to 20k in upgrades:

8A.) Raptor Upgrades: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Custom Acrylic Cup Inserts - $17.76 Maxtrax boards: $280.00 Line-X Bed - $520.00 Line-X Rear Wheel Wells - $310.00 Mud Flaps PDP - $84.55 WeatherTech Bug and rain Guards - Free Install Radar Detector- Free UPR Catch Can & ECCS w/Breather - $664.95 ZRoadz Hood, ditch, light Brackets - $147.85 Rigid D series lights. $225.00 Recon dual row Led tailgate light - $209.00 Recon install - $50.00 Baja Designs Ford Raptor 2017+ XL80 A-Pillar Lighting Kit - $789.00 Security hardware - $103.20 Front windows & Windshield tinted - $135.00 Undercover Elite bed cover - $984.00 Ford Performance hood stickers $34.95 Gaither Wheel Dolly - $221.21 Under Seat Storage - $419.95 Raptor Sewn Seat Belts x 4 - 85.50 KHC Torque Arm - $1,350.00 Raptor hood and rear quarter panel stickers - $890.00 Reflective grill & tailgate stickers - 172.18 Gorilla lugnuts - $117.99 Fumoto F107N w/LC10 lever lock - $28.95 Bubba Rope, 28,600 lbs.7/8" x 30' - $209.09 Bubba Rope Gator -Jaw Soft Shackles Red & Black, 52,300 lb, BUB176745RB - $85.98 Bubba Rope 10' Tree Hugger - $79.00 COBB Ford Coolant Overflow Cover - $65.00 Baja Designs Triple Fog Light Kit - $1,089.00 Baja Designs S1 Reverse Light Kit -$269.96 Baja Designs LED Dome Light - $67.46 AFE Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Replacement Air Filter - $78.99 ARB ARB505 E-Z Deflator Kit - $41.99 Raptor fuse kit - $27.99

Upgrades: $9,855.50

I I don't have Deavers or icon leaf springs or Geiser springs, bump stops, tune, IC, aftermarket bumpers, wheels installed.

Reaction score
I'm new to the aftermarket truck mod game so go easy on me! I'm thinking through what aftermarket mods to do to my Gen 3, and as I calculate it, it's pretty easy to drop $10-$20k on non-mechanical things things like, ADD front and rear bumpers, Baja Design Lights, Xpel paint protection film, Intercooler and maybe a Warn winch...

The elephant in the room, will I recoup the money I spend on these quality aftermarket mods when I go to sell the truck in 5 years?

What has been your experience? Perhaps what are things worth while or things to avoid? Like, how bad is it to do a frame cut aftermarket bumper?

Thanks!
I've sold 3 Raptors since 2010 and aftermarket goods commands about 25cents on the dollar in my experience. Raptors are special purpose trucks and people only want the base truck. Others are "New" in the market and only take Blue-Book values and have no idea on the aftermarket items. If you can sell direct to another experienced Raptor owner, I'm certain you will do better but won't recoup your full investment. Just my opinion and experience. I won't argue if you don't agree.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most of the mods worth doing on a Raptor you can remove fairly easily & sell off or transfer to another offroad vehicle/truck- lights & wheels come to mind immediately.

Unless you’re towing/driving hard regularly and/or live in an area w/ consistently high temps/humidity- you don’t need an upgraded intercooler

I think for the $$$ an exhaust is a waste, truck sounds how it sounds. I also don’t think a bumper is a great mod for the $$ either unless you’re really off-roading it crazily and/or adding a winch (winch I would say is probably a good mod & would add value private party or again- you can easily take it off before trading in)

Tune- def a must do since the engine has a lot more potential.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple additions like some tasteful driving/fog lights in the cutouts, or a bed cover may help with your sale and may have a small return of your investment. Most everything performance oriented screams "this truck was driven hard, jumped, or beat on" even if it wasn't. That all said, in today's marketplace with new vehicle prices increasing every month or so...used prices are doing great...and that will carry over to any truck, whether modded or not. There are a small number of buyers who will pay a premium for a truck that has most of the mods they would do themselves or that particularly fit their intended usage...but that is a tiny fraction of the buyers and finding one when you are ready to sell is a needle in a haystack proposition.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm new to the aftermarket truck mod game so go easy on me! I'm thinking through what aftermarket mods to do to my Gen 3, and as I calculate it, it's pretty easy to drop $10-$20k on non-mechanical things things like, ADD front and rear bumpers, Baja Design Lights, Xpel paint protection film, Intercooler and maybe a Warn winch...

The elephant in the room, will I recoup the money I spend on these quality aftermarket mods when I go to sell the truck in 5 years?

What has been your experience? Perhaps what are things worth while or things to avoid? Like, how bad is it to do a frame cut aftermarket bumper?

Thanks!
Real question boils down to why do you want to modify the truck?

Enjoyment, making the vehicle “yours”, financial gain, etc

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Part additions to a vehicle are much different than replacing OEM with Aftermarket. Adding things of course should be valued higher, but replacing anything OEM with a cheaper aftermarket will "almost" always devalue it somehow.

Why would you want the insurance company to buy your cheaper aftermarket wheels, have them bid OEM then buy aftermarket and pocket the difference. If you "claim" a cheaper aftermarket wheel on your policy do you think they are going to lower your monthly bill?
You don’t, you are covered because factory wheels are more costly. But you won’t get the cash difference
They will pay the lower of factory prices or your aftermarket replacement costs. You put a 4 k bumper on, they will only pay what it would cost for the factory bumper. You pay the additional UNLESS you listed it on your policy and pay a few bucks more insurance.