Aftermarket mods, will I recoup dollars spent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USA

Reaction score
I'm new to the aftermarket truck mod game so go easy on me! I'm thinking through what aftermarket mods to do to my Gen 3, and as I calculate it, it's pretty easy to drop $10-$20k on non-mechanical things things like, ADD front and rear bumpers, Baja Design Lights, Xpel paint protection film, Intercooler and maybe a Warn winch...

The elephant in the room, will I recoup the money I spend on these quality aftermarket mods when I go to sell the truck in 5 years?

What has been your experience? Perhaps what are things worth while or things to avoid? Like, how bad is it to do a frame cut aftermarket bumper?

Thanks!

D3 SS 3D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone else may have a different take, but in my experience, the answer is no, you will not recover your full $ spent on mods. For example, if you plan on selling your truck to a dealership (in my experience dealers prefer OEM spec'd cars, not modified), then I'd keep all the OEM take off stuff, reinstall it before sell (so labor install $ outflow), then sell all the aftermarket stuff on another site as used (so you'll get less than new obviously). On the other hand, sometimes you can sell a "modified" vehicle on a forum or other place for modified vehicles or to an individual and get some of your investment back, but it will certainly not be $1 to $1 invested. For example, the shop I use to install my parts, the owner had a highly modified 2018 Raptor, like 100K in parts / labor modified, he recently sold it for it for 90K to a private party.

Good Luck!

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've owned a ton of sports cars.

Mods don't help your case. It does not change here. With that being said, who is spending 10-20 thousand on a raptor?

You literally need the following:

Tune - $600
Intercooler - $500
Bumper - used, $1000-$1300, because buying a new bumper is dumb, its steel for Christ sakes
Wheels (same size wheels unless you want to go larger and then do not complain about gas mileage, thanks) $1000
Exhaust - SPD DPs, and your choice of noise bringers ( I run Corsa Xtreme, because I need them to hear me coming) $2000

$5000 give or take, and if you're really smart, you'll install it yourself, but if you have 30 BITCOIN, you wont install it yourself.

1649254351788.png

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, mods actually decrease value of vehicle as it's an indication its been tampered with... no longer OEM reliable.

Just imagine all the hack jobs people do out there, especially with wiring... no one wants a modified vehicle.

2022 Ruth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Most people don’t want a modded out truck. Taste, quality of work, quality of products will all be something other buyer consider. When modding the truck, car, whatever, you typically devalue it. You, at best, will only maintain value.

A 50K truck with 10 grands of mods in it will usually be, at the most, worth 50K.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mods rarely increase the value of a vehicle and they can actually decrease the value because the market for modified vehicles has fewer buyers. It's a turnoff to see that someone hacked up the factory wiring to install stereo equipment or lights, or that engine components have been replaced with parts from eBay.
Mods don't help your case. It does not change here. With that being said, who is spending 10-20 thousand on a raptor?
It's pretty easy to do. I'm getting a Retrax Pro cover and my wife wants to be able to install a (Thule?) rooftop tent over it. Then I'll want to add Devers to the rear to accommodate the extra weight and help with towing, and I'm budgeting about $8k to do all of this and I haven't even opened the hood.
Bumper - used, $1000-$1300, because buying a new bumper is dumb, its steel for Christ sakes
The likelihood of finding a used but undamaged example of the bumper I want is pretty slim, so I'd still allow at least $2k. Then you can almost double that because I'll want to replace the rear one, too.

Wheels (same size wheels unless you want to go larger and then do not complain about gas mileage, thanks) $1000
I'll gladly keep my factory deadlocks before I put thousand dollar wheels on my Raptor.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mods rarely increase the value of a vehicle and they can actually decrease the value because the market for modified vehicles has fewer buyers. It's a turnoff to see that someone hacked up the factory wiring to install stereo equipment or lights, or that engine components have been replaced with parts from eBay.

It's pretty easy to do. I'm getting a Retrax Pro cover and my wife wants to be able to install a (Thule?) rooftop tent over it. Then I'll want to add Devers to the rear to accommodate the extra weight and help with towing, and I'm budgeting about $8k to do all of this and I haven't even opened the hood.

The likelihood of finding a used but undamaged example of the bumper I want is pretty slim, so I'd still allow at least $2k. Then you can almost double that because I'll want to replace the rear one, too.

I'll gladly keep my factory deadlocks before I put thousand dollar wheels on my Raptor.

Fair - I see you left out wheels/tune/exhaust and input the other items that do truck stuffs lol :) All the same.

5k Max.

You do these things with the raptor
1. Look good or,
2. Go faster or,
3. Go over shit and live in the wilderness comfortably

Then on the rare occasion to complain about the towing capacity or gas mileage.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People want stock vehicles. Modded trucks are "beaten on" in the eyes of a consumer.

When I say mods, I mean performance mods. Things like ceramic coatings, aftermarket wheels etc can actually help.