Aftermarket mods, will I recoup dollars spent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
USA

USA

Reaction score
My response wont be about which mods to pick or get but rather your question on recouping the money spent on mods. Modding a vehicle will add value depending on the type and extent of mods. However, the first moment you mod a vehicle, the instant you should never sell to a broker or dealership. Dealerships and brokers will pay book value on any vehicle regardless of modification. This means you're limited to private sale which can take a bit of time to find the right buyer. Nice thing with stealerships is that they take the risk of finding the buyer. Also extensive mods can make a vehicle unsellable as banks do not want to loan out money on an older vehicle especially is the price is higher than book. This is the same reason I went with a stock 18 rather than a modded 1st gen
Good advice. Thanks!

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol. For reference a bypass rack, 16” or 18” bypasses, leaf springs, shackles, brake lines, etc will put you close to $10,000

What is a bypass rack? And I assume the most expensive item is the leaf spring?

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is a bypass rack? And I assume the most expensive item is the leaf spring?
Bypass rack (sometimes called a bed rack) basically is your upper shock mounts for longer stroke shocks.

The biggest part of the purchase is the shocks, rears we’re about $3,400 give or take (from memory)

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a quote for $5k for entire truck to get Xpel wrap. I'm starting to question if I need that when it gets delivered. I don't plan on having the truck for more than 5 years. I do want to beat on it off road though!
JMO but that seems like an incredible waste of money. I'll probably keep my truck for five years too and hose it off when I go to sell and it will go for the same amount of money as a truck with 5-year-old Xpel on it.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JMO but that seems like an incredible waste of money. I'll probably keep my truck for five years too and hose it off when I go to sell and it will go for the same amount of money as a truck with 5-year-old Xpel on it.
That is on the money and exactly right. Take it from an a hole who knows. Me.

Since 2015 I’ve literally lost track of how many new vehicles I’ve bought and subsequently traded in, some within weeks, none longer than a year and a half, every one traded in to a dealer in different states. In no instance did they even look at the vehicle other than to check the mileage. Couldn’t care less if it had scratches, wheel gouges, nothing. And in many instances I drove over a thousand miles to trade in, had a price in advance based on VIN and pics, and in every case the dealer paid me what they said they would.

Again, if you want to mod, do it for yourself, for your enjoyment, not for value. If paint chips, rock chips drive you nuts, get PPF. But five grand worth?

OP
OP
USA

USA

Reaction score
That is on the money and exactly right. Take it from an a hole who knows. Me.

Since 2015 I’ve literally lost track of how many new vehicles I’ve bought and subsequently traded in, some within weeks, none longer than a year and a half, every one traded in to a dealer in different states. In no instance did they even look at the vehicle other than to check the mileage. Couldn’t care less if it had scratches, wheel gouges, nothing. And in many instances I drove over a thousand miles to trade in, had a price in advance based on VIN and pics, and in every case the dealer paid me what they said they would.

Again, if you want to mod, do it for yourself, for your enjoyment, not for value. If paint chips, rock chips drive you nuts, get PPF. But five grand worth?
This is very helpful! Thanks for sharing your experience on that. I’m starting to think $5k isn’t worth it, maybe for $2k… but only if that would mean it’s also ceramic coated to keep it looking cleaner with ease.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Agree with all on here, mods often times will decrease the value or at least limit the pool of potential customers. I wouldn't buy a moded truck unless I personally knew the owner, how they treated it and if I actually would do exactly what was moded. But i would buy a stock used one and mod it for my taste and not worry about the resale, just enjoy the hell out of what I like. Just don't think you will get it back out of it..

Idaho Savage

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only time I've seen this math work is in Toyota Landcruisers, the other love of my life. With LCs, there are certain mods that are so ubiquitous that people expect to have to do them and thus, are willing to pay extra when they're already done.

Pickups appeal to a much broader audience so it's just not the case. Seat covers might be the only mod that'll pay themselves off.

Sgt Beavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeeps with mods will generally attract more value than those without, but even there you’ll never recoup your costs. I do my mods to get more enjoyment out of my vehicles. In that way I’ve gotten plenty of value out of my mods.

I will say that the bed rack and Decked systems I had in my Gen2 were easily sold on Facebook Marketplace for roughly 75% of their retail pricing. I still have the BajaDesigns lights I had on the Raptor. I’ve been too lazy to put them on my Jeep.