Advice wanted on remotely purchasing and shipping new Gen3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uscraptor51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you deal with not being able to inspect the truck? Just take dealers word? I’m in SoCal too. Thanks for the recommendation.

So far, it’s
Reliable enclosed at $2500
RCG enclosed at $1150
Dealer (unknown) $800

Don’t want to just throw money away but I don’t want to cheap out on this part and regret it.
Yes, trusted the sales guy that I had been in contact with. He was a good guy, great communication and I asked a lot of questions.

Those enclosed prices sound too good to be true? I was quoted $6,500 from Reliable.

So far I have bought and shipped 3 cars from out of state and each experience has worked out without issue.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm the same here. Refuse to pay over MSRP from any CA dealerships. I had a connection with no BS in Maryland for my order. Just placed it the other day. I could have searched in AZ or NV ect... but I didn't want guessing games and surprises like many forum members.

I can call my dealer/friend in MD and ask them to pay the extra $$ and they can ship it to CA? I would do it if it's under $1000 for shipping but if it is more than that, I'd rather drive it back myself cross country. My concern on this would be that whatever dealer it does get shipped to might not be as willing to fix any issues for me? It would be under warranty, but I have heard through the rumor mill they don't like doing this. Ideally I would want it shipped to me at the dealer I plan on using for service in so cal and maybe I could at least have that as leverage?

Very interested in this post. Would anyone else be concerned that an immediate drive cross-country would be bad for break in?

Ragnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a tough one. Are you getting the truck for MSRP?

I would fly and drive if it were me. I would inspect for damage, check the oil level, tire pressures and apply self-stick clear carpet protection film on the front end to protect from freeway paint chips (yes, I am very ana_). I would then have the salesman snap some pics of you and your new toy and enjoy the drive home fluctuating my speed for a proper break-in.
I was thinking about using some type of clear tape but I like the idea of using the carpet film.

RaptorFun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not be concerned. Just simply vary your speed and don’t use cruise control for the first 500-750 miles. Probably wouldn’t exceed 75 MPH either. When you get back home…have the the oil and filter changed. You’ll be fine. Have fun!!

CodeOrangeGen3

Reaction score
Dealing with this now, I’ve opted to fly and drive(1500 miles). Check out Tracwrap by Xpel. Super easy application
I just checked out the site. They have a $119 road abrasion kit. Since it comes on a roll how do you make it fit? Cut it or just overlap pieces? ONly worried about the mirror caps and front end for my 1200 mile drive from FL to TX.

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had 2 vehicles shipped F150 supercrew being one of them. Both times there was damage to vehicle (scratches, dents and undercarriage damage). I wouldn’t risk it with that nice of a truck. I would go get it and drive it home. I understand the “break in” period is not really a think anymore other than don’t drive it 80mph all the way home.

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm the same here. Refuse to pay over MSRP from any CA dealerships. I had a connection with no BS in Maryland for my order. Just placed it the other day. I could have searched in AZ or NV ect... but I didn't want guessing games and surprises like many forum members.

I can call my dealer/friend in MD and ask them to pay the extra $$ and they can ship it to CA? I would do it if it's under $1000 for shipping but if it is more than that, I'd rather drive it back myself cross country. My concern on this would be that whatever dealer it does get shipped to might not be as willing to fix any issues for me? It would be under warranty, but I have heard through the rumor mill they don't like doing this. Ideally I would want it shipped to me at the dealer I plan on using for service in so cal and maybe I could at least have that as leverage?

Very interested in this post. Would anyone else be concerned that an immediate drive cross-country would be bad for break in?
I wouldn't be concerned at all. I have had 5 Raptors, 3 of the Ecoboost and have done nothing for a break in period. All have been purchased and driven straight to the oilfield and used for 50-70k miles. I run Mobil 1 oil and change every 7500 miles. These are not Ferraris. Just enjoy your truck and congratulations on finding one.

Ragnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on making a trip out of it. My Dad and I are going to fly and drive it home. Good chance to spend some time with the old man.