Advice wanted on remotely purchasing and shipping new Gen3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus, shipping a full size pickup isn’t cheap, especially if it’s enclosed. Did you get a quote?

Reliable was 2500 for enclosed. Lot of money but I guess worth it if they are in fact reliable. One of the dealers I have an order in with added $800 for shipping as an option on my order. That seems too cheap to be good.

That’s a tough one. Are you getting the truck for MSRP?

I would fly and drive if it were me. I would inspect for damage, check the oil level, tire pressures and apply self-stick clear carpet protection film on the front end to protect from freeway paint chips (yes, I am very ana_). I would then have the salesman snap some pics of you and your new toy and enjoy the drive home fluctuating my speed for a proper break-in.
Yes, MSRP deal. I’m pretty ocd too which is why both my options aren’t the most appealing to me.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What’s a courtesy delivery? Maybe, that’s what was quoted as $800 by one dealer.
Remember you already pay ford to ship your truck. Do you think ford cares where they ship it?

When you order your truck out of state you can request a courtesy delivery. The means the selling dealership will locate a local dealership to you and ask if they will take delivery of your truck. The local dealership will not do this for free. Most dealership will charge $500 to take delivery.

Please note this must be arranged when you order your truck. In other words you can not do a courtesy delivery if ford has already transported the truck to the selling dealership. I hope this makes sense.

OP
OP
J

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember you already pay ford to ship your truck. Do you think ford cares where they ship it?

When you order your truck out of state you can request a courtesy delivery. The means the selling dealership will locate a local dealership to you and ask if they will take delivery of your truck. The local dealership will not do this for free. Most dealership will charge $500 to take delivery.

Please note this must be arranged when you order your truck. In other words you can not do a courtesy delivery if ford has already transported the truck to the selling dealership. I hope this makes sense.
That would actually be ideal and worth 500. Guess I’ll ask if/when I get a vin assigned.

uscraptor51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was hoping to get advice or others experience purchasing a truck from out of state and having it shipped.

Dealer is 14 hours away so I’m thinking about having the truck shipped. Don’t like the idea of putting those miles on right out of the gate without a proper break-in period and would like to be closer to home when I do should any issues arise. But going to pick it up is not completely out of the question.

Main concern with having it shipped is not being able to do an inspection prior to leaving dealer. Also, I’m worried the dealer and shipper may point fingers at each other if it does arrive with any issues. How would others handle this? Have dealer send detailed pictures prior to shipping? Also, got an estimate from reliable for transport, says 1-5 weeks to schedule pick up. Guess the truck will be sitting at the dealer, probably being used on the showroom in that time.
I had RCG Logistics coordinate transport of mine from OH to CA (Southern CA). Very good communication provided pickup photos, inspection report and delivered with no issues…2,400 miles.

Last edited:

uscraptor51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased my gen 3 from out of state…it cost me @ $2,395 to ship 1400 miles….I do not recommend it….unless you have a top notch sales person and shipping company ——The process is very stressful and unless you use the very best (like reliable or intercity) which was going to cost me $3995—it would have taken @ 4-6 weeks to get the vehicle—-it takes a fun event and becomes an exercise in herding cats…oh its possible ,,,but very hard to do….

My truck already has several scratches before i have driven it a single mile…my advice…unless you use reliable or intercity…don’t bother—-not worth It—
RCG Logistics charged me $2,246…mileage was around 2,400 miles.

albuht813

Reaction score

Thanks for this info. I just had my order placed but I'm sure they can change that detail before it gets scheduled.

OP
OP
J

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RCG Logistics charged me $2,246…mileage was around 2,400 miles.
How did you deal with not being able to inspect the truck? Just take dealers word? I’m in SoCal too. Thanks for the recommendation.

So far, it’s
Reliable enclosed at $2500
RCG enclosed at $1150
Dealer (unknown) $800

Don’t want to just throw money away but I don’t want to cheap out on this part and regret it.

SulDogger

Reaction score
I am having mine shipped from TX to the NE This week. Although it would be fun to drive back, I don’t have the time capacity to allow this. The dealership sent a ton of pictures for inspection purposes and even noticed one of the seat cushions was not up to standard, ordered the seat cover and is having it installed at my local dealer free of charge to me. The transport company has been utilized by this particular dealer many times. Cost is $1400. It can be nerve racking, however I’ve had a 30 foot boat shipped that I had independently inspected and that was more stressful than the truck being shipped. Best of luck on your new rig!