Advice wanted on remotely purchasing and shipping new Gen3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pitboss02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that have shipped... Did you spend the extra money to ship enclosed? or went open?

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
For those that have shipped... Did you spend the extra money to ship enclosed? or went open?
I ship all of my cars enclosed (probably 15-20 over last 5 years). Doesn't matter if my Raptor or exotic. Open carrier = bad weather, rocks and debris, crappy carriers who many don't even speak English and will treat your car like a 30 year old Honda.

Car carrier business is very seedy and scummy. DO NOT use a broker. Deal directly with shipper.

Get what you pay for....$800 vs $1800. It's an easy choice for me. YMMV.

Last edited:

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on making a trip out of it. My Dad and I are going to fly and drive it home. Good chance to spend some time with the old man.
Do it!!! I did this in 2004 with my Dad who was retired. Ordered a hard to find vehicle in FL at MSRP and drove it back to CA on a 5-day road trip. Best quality time we ever spent together. He passed 4-years later from cancer and I still have great memories and photos of the trip. Life is short.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do it!!! I did this in 2004 with my Dad who was retired. Ordered a hard to find vehicle in FL at MSRP and drove it back to CA on a 5-day road trip. Best quality time we ever spent together. He passed 4-years later from cancer and I still have great memories and photos of the trip. Life is short.
yup. This is a good idea. I’m gonna talk to my dad tonight about it. He just retired!

OP
OP
J

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like it’s a gamble when shipping. I gotta wonder though, these trucks are being shipped from ford to the dealers. So It’s not like picking up the truck keeps the trucks from being shipped at some point. Guess it still comes down to being able to personally inspect it before taking it from the dealer. If I ship I might have to spend more with Reliable Carriers, they seem to be among the top reputable companies.

Only small issue I’m seeing with the road trip option is that the early MY22 trucks (hopefully) might put delivery in the middle of winter. Hopefully they get those trans and coolant line issues sorted by then.

Pitboss02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With enclosed…. How do they get out of the truck once it’s in the trailer?!?!? Seems like more likely to damage the truck then!

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D
I have had 2 vehicles shipped F150 supercrew being one of them. Both times there was damage to vehicle (scratches, dents and undercarriage damage). I wouldn’t risk it with that nice of a truck. I would go get it and drive it home. I understand the “break in” period is not really a think anymore other than don’t drive it 80mph all the way home.
Seems like it’s a gamble when shipping. I gotta wonder though, these trucks are being shipped from ford to the dealers. So It’s not like picking up the truck keeps the trucks from being shipped at some point. Guess it still comes down to being able to personally inspect it before taking it from the dealer. If I ship I might have to spend more with Reliable Carriers, they seem to be among the top reputable companies.

Only small issue I’m seeing with the road trip option is that the early MY22 trucks (hopefully) might put delivery in the middle of winter. Hopefully they get those trans and coolant line issues sorted by then.
I like your optimism, but we probably aren’t seeing our 2022s until March or April

Ragnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @Jake226 for the help. Super nice guy. My Dad is retired as well. Looking forward to the trip. Just crossing my fingers that everything will work out. It’s been a long road for me.

Jsousa67

Reaction score
I bought my 21 Raptor 9 hous each way from me. I drove my trade and spent the night and drove home the next day. I had a shipping quote for 2500.00 but spent 500.00 all in driving.