Advice wanted on remotely purchasing and shipping new Gen3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was hoping to get advice or others experience purchasing a truck from out of state and having it shipped.

Dealer is 14 hours away so I’m thinking about having the truck shipped. Don’t like the idea of putting those miles on right out of the gate without a proper break-in period and would like to be closer to home when I do should any issues arise. But going to pick it up is not completely out of the question.

Main concern with having it shipped is not being able to do an inspection prior to leaving dealer. Also, I’m worried the dealer and shipper may point fingers at each other if it does arrive with any issues. How would others handle this? Have dealer send detailed pictures prior to shipping? Also, got an estimate from reliable for transport, says 1-5 weeks to schedule pick up. Guess the truck will be sitting at the dealer, probably being used on the showroom in that time.

Ragnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all goes well, I’ll be traveling 1000 miles to pick up my truck. Feel much better about picking it up in person rather than having some random shipper pick it up. Just worried about some shipper scratching it etc. I am sure some will ship it unscathed but my OCD will freak out if it is scratched. Plus I get to break it in on the way home and get the oil changed when I arrive. Jmo

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a tough one. Are you getting the truck for MSRP?

I would fly and drive if it were me. I would inspect for damage, check the oil level, tire pressures and apply self-stick clear carpet protection film on the front end to protect from freeway paint chips (yes, I am very ana_). I would then have the salesman snap some pics of you and your new toy and enjoy the drive home fluctuating my speed for a proper break-in.

Ragnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a tough one. Are you getting the truck for MSRP?

I would fly and drive if it were me. I would inspect for damage, check the oil level, tire pressures and apply self-stick clear carpet film on the front end to protect from freeway paint chips. I would then have the salesman snap some pics of you and your new toy and enjoy the drive home fluctuating my speed for a proper break-in.
That is my plan. Fly out and drive it home.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus, shipping a full size pickup isn’t cheap, especially if it’s enclosed. Did you get a quote?

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this 2 years ago with my Gen 2. I really didn't have a choice, as I couldn't find the color combination - Velocity Blue / Recaros with the options I wanted. I live in Tucson, found the truck in Milwaukee. The GM of the dealership was excellent! He filmed and sent me 3 videos. Outside the truck, inside the truck, and my truck bring loaded onto a car carrier.

The truck was being shipped from the Milwaukee dealership to Texas Motorworx in Dallas. Cost was $1K. The GM activated Ford Pass, and I was able to track it. TMX knew it was coming, and I asked them to do a thorough inspection, which they did, and didn't find anything wrong. Yes, it was little stressful, but it was the only way. I flew into Dallas when TMX was done with my truck, and drove it home to Tucson.

RaptorCDH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was hoping to get advice or others experience purchasing a truck from out of state and having it shipped.

Dealer is 14 hours away so I’m thinking about having the truck shipped. Don’t like the idea of putting those miles on right out of the gate without a proper break-in period and would like to be closer to home when I do should any issues arise. But going to pick it up is not completely out of the question.

Main concern with having it shipped is not being able to do an inspection prior to leaving dealer. Also, I’m worried the dealer and shipper may point fingers at each other if it does arrive with any issues. How would others handle this? Have dealer send detailed pictures prior to shipping? Also, got an estimate from reliable for transport, says 1-5 weeks to schedule pick up. Guess the truck will be sitting at the dealer, probably being used on the showroom in that time.

RaptorCDH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased my gen 3 from out of state…it cost me @ $2,395 to ship 1400 miles….I do not recommend it….unless you have a top notch sales person and shipping company ——The process is very stressful and unless you use the very best (like reliable or intercity) which was going to cost me $3995—it would have taken @ 4-6 weeks to get the vehicle—-it takes a fun event and becomes an exercise in herding cats…oh its possible ,,,but very hard to do….

My truck already has several scratches before i have driven it a single mile…my advice…unless you use reliable or intercity…don’t bother—-not worth It—

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have my 2019 shipped from Missouri to Oregon,get stock 4 days in SFO(4 0f July)so try to ship before thanksgiving! very dirty, a lot of bugs!paid $ 3 000,dealer take care of it.
I don't knew about courtesy delivery but think it have to be place at the time of the order?
you always have a warranty!good luck!

Attachments

• Raptor.jpg
    Raptor.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: