6.2 Engine Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you explain how this would be the case and how the crankcase breather would factor in ? I am not saying its not the case, I am not envisioning how that would be the case when taking into account the breather so I am seeking information . respectfully . Tim

I want to also add that it seems, in my mind if this were the case of too much crankcase pressure oil would be being forced out every possible orifice, again just trying to envision this not attacking you, I am not an engineer, just some what mechanically inclined and I like to understand the physics and mechanics of things. Tim

For extreme overfill there will be oil in the bottom of the cylinder and the piston will be forced down though it adding much higher pressure to the rings causing blow by and eventually ring failure.

For minor overfill the oil will foam due to excess part motion through it, this foam does not flow (it sticks to surfaces) and will among other things stick to the cylinder wall, again increasing pressure on the rings, blow by and eventual failure. The oil foam will also cause air bubbles in the oil galleys causing parts not to get the correct level of lubrication leading to overheating and failure.

As for oil spraying out every way it can, this is unlikely as the approx volume of the case stays the same as some pistons will be moving up as others are moving down creating spaces for the displaced oil to flow into.

It should be noted that it would be difficult to crank and engine that was so full the pistons where hitting the oil surface, if it would even start, at least in small displacement blocks.

OP
OP
P

Paul Stone

Reaction score
The oil test came back today. 99.5% oil. .5% gas. Is it possible that something broke inside of the engine and fell into the oil pan...lifting the overall engine oil level?

As a next step I'm thinking I will have the truck towed out of the dealership to a mechanic that I trust...so that he can do some dissecting/investigating. Or should I leave it and have Ford do the investigating...in case this is a defective part/engine issue?

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, did you check the oil level yourself after the change was done by your mechanic? If so, was the level OK then?

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Overfilling the engine will aerate the oil during operation.
Aerated oil has a very low film strength.
Bearings and piston rings will fail.

OP
OP
P

Paul Stone

Reaction score
Drain the oil pan and measure how much oil is in it. Simple solution. You won't get it all but 4 extra quarts will be easily detected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my next step. Thanks for the idea.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it's still under warranty then you'd better let Ford make the call. I'm sure they'll entertain your suggestions amicably, but if its warranty work it's all on them.

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
windage in the crankcase can wreak havoc , often first showing by producing smoke by creating excessive pressure on the rings. Unfortunately, it appears the guy changing the oil did a no no. Was he using a gun that draws the oil from a drum and there is a dial on it that you rotate to choose the number of quarts it's supposed to dispense? Possible it malfunctioned? If not, he forgot how to count.