6.2 Engine Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Stone

Reaction score
Hoping that someone on this site can provide a little help. I have a 2010 Raptor with 71k miles on it. While driving through center city Philadelphia last week (at about 20 mph) I felt like I hit a 50 gallon drum in the street. The truck stuttered and it sounded like I was pushing the drum down the street. As I started to pull over, the engine died. I tried to start it and it turned over roughly, but the next time I tried to start it, it felt like the starter was stuck. I towed it to the dealership and they said the engine was locked up (blown). I asked why and they said my oil change guy had overfilled at the last oil change. When we pulled the dipstick, the oil level read about 4 inches high (which was alarming). So I called my oil guy and he came to take a look. He said that he believes that the oil is high because it has mixed with gas. We took a sample and it is out for testing. I am trying to figure out what happened. Did I do something wrong? Are there any know problems with this engine? Please help. Thanks.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sucks! How would gas get in the oil pan? I've never heard of that on any engine. Antifreeze or water maybe?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Water or antifreeze would be fairly obvious. I'm not sure on the gas part. Were there any signs prior that would've hinted towards an issue?

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not likely that it is flooded with fuel injection. Also, the sudden onset is kind of curious, too.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If there was 4" of gasoline in the bottom of the crankcase, wouldn't it of separated and been pure gas coming out the drain plug? Wouldn't a tech at Ford check for that?

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen injectors stick open and flood the engine then hydro lock the engine.

That would be my guess. I just had an injector go bad this week on one of my company trucks with a 5.4l . The pintle would not stay closed, it dripped fuel just sitting there let alone when it actually had fuel pressure . Tim