6.2 Engine Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Three Questions:
- How many miles driven since last oil change?
- How many miles driven the day this happened?
- Wouldn't the oil on the dipstick smell like gasoline if gas had mixed with engine oil?

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To add 4 inches of oil on the dipstick at an oil change, I would imagine would be a significant amount of oil. It just doesn't add up that a guy changing the oil just keeps adding that much oil . But what makes more sense is that some other source, like gas was probably introduced. Tim

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

I would definitely send that oil out for analysis if it were me. Even if the service department does it, I would send a sample myself so I had control over the report. Tim

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Paul Stone

Reaction score
Appreciate the thoughts on this engine. A bad fuel injector does seem to make sense...I guess I am just surprised that one fuel injector can ruin an engine. I'll report on the oil test results when they come in...probably tomorrow. If they come back all oil, is there any possibility that just having too much oil in the truck cased the failure? That was the opinion of the tech at the dealership.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Three Questions:
- How many miles driven since last oil change?
- How many miles driven the day this happened?
- Wouldn't the oil on the dipstick smell like gasoline if gas had mixed with engine oil?

I put about 4k on the truck since my last oil change. The day of, I drove about 40 miles before it stopped. Some of the earlier miles that day at speeds of up to 75mph. When it blew, I think I was going about 20mph. We smelled the oil on the dip stick and it smelled like oil (to me).

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many quarts did your "oil guy" add to the engine when he performed your oil change btw? Did he ever mention the amount or have it typed/written on the invoice from his shop?

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To much oil in the engine can case a failure, there will not be enough air in the block to allow the pistons to move correctly most likely causing blown rings.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To much oil in the engine can case a failure, there will not be enough air in the block to allow the pistons to move correctly most likely causing blown rings.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Can you explain how this would be the case and how the crankcase breather would factor in ? I am not saying its not the case, I am not envisioning how that would be the case when taking into account the breather so I am seeking information . respectfully . Tim

I want to also add that it seems, in my mind if this were the case of too much crankcase pressure oil would be being forced out every possible orifice, again just trying to envision this not attacking you, I am not an engineer, just some what mechanically inclined and I like to understand the physics and mechanics of things. Tim

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put about 4k on the truck since my last oil change. The day of, I drove about 40 miles before it stopped. Some of the earlier miles that day at speeds of up to 75mph. When it blew, I think I was going about 20mph. We smelled the oil on the dip stick and it smelled like oil (to me).

I'm puzzled. If there was enough gas in the oil to raise the level on the dipstick by 4 inches, it sure would smell like gasoline. If at the last oil change enough oil had been added to raise the level on the dipstick by 4 inches, then I sincerely doubt that the truck could have traveled 4,000 miles that way.

So maybe we're looking at this backwards. Maybe the measured oil level isn't the cause of the failure, but a symptom of it. Suppose a head cracked so catastrophically (the sound and vibration described) that it dumped the cooling system into the engine so fast that the engine quit before any real mixing of the oil and coolant could take place? Might that have forced unadulterated oil up the dipstick, giving the impression that the oil was overfilled?

I wouldn't rate this as even a guess, but I think it fits the symptoms described.