6.2 Engine Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's almost like they never dumped the oil on the last oil change and then they filled it up that's why there is double the amount but i don't see how it would run that long with that much oil.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt whether it had all that fluid in the crankcase for 4000 miles.
Most likely, the coolant was sucked in all at one time which caused the engine to shut down.
There may have been a momentary spike on the temp gauge.
There would have not been enough time for coolant and oil to mix enough to get the milk chocolate look.
I think the 4,000 mile drive is misleading everyone.
This condition was sudden. Hence, the appearance of the oil.
The coolant should have been low after shut down, if this is 'in fact' what occurred.
I have seen engine oil when coolant was sucked in thru the intake manifold (3.8L GM)
and the engine oil did not have enough run time to mix thoroughly.
When the oil was checked, it appear several quarts above the fill line, but the color still looked right.
A good mechanic would immediately 'pick up' on the 'feel' of the oil - not right.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All the OP has to do is check the radiator, if it is empty then the extra volume of fluid has to come from there.

BTW .. nothing makes sense about this post. Every theory seems to have a contradiction.

To the OP .. report back and tell us what the hell happened.

OP
OP
P

Paul Stone

Reaction score
You guys have been awesome...appreciate all the good thinking and time that has gone into trying to solve this mystery. What looked like new oil to me (and 2 mechanics at the dealership...as well as my oil change guy) turns out to be radiator fluid. So, it looks like blown head gasket is the culprit. I am going to do some more investigating to try to find out why it blew with no warning signs at 71k...11k after the warranty was up.

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knew something was amiss... was wondering if some silly way oil was unmixed, how did "clean oil" come out first. Awesome mechanic/oil guys not knowing the difference between clean oil and H2O based fluid.