6.2 Engine Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The two fluids didn't mix because they're not compatible or because the engine failed so precipitously that they didn't have a chance to mix. There's a mechanical failure somewhere in this, especially given the description of the failure provided by Paul Stone. If the second fluid is coolant, it's bound to be a head gasket failure.

The thing I don't understand is the initial 6 quarts of what looked like fresh clean oil. After 4,000 miles? That's got me really puzzled if it really is oil. If it's coolant, then there's no real mystery because the coolant would separate while the truck's been sitting, would be the bottom layer in the crankcase, and would be the first fluid to drain. But coolant doesn't look like oil, so I'm really scratching my head over this.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
just a thought, but is it possible the other fluid is transmission fluid?

after looking at alldata. can see the cooler is in the radiator. no way really to make it to the engine.

it is almost as if some one added extra oil. at 4000 miles the oil shold be somewhat dirty.

Last edited:

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
just a thought, but is it possible the other fluid is transmission fluid?

after looking at alldata. can see the cooler is in the radiator. no way really to make it to the engine.

it is almost as if some one added extra oil. at 4000 miles the oil shold be somewhat dirty.

Even then wouldn't the clean and dirty oil tend to not separate? The "clean oil looking" fluid has to have more density in order to separate like is being described.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im with the rest of you on this, something doesn't add up. If the truck was driven for 4000miles wouldn't there of been some kind of blowby, wouldn't oil have gone up the dipstick tube and blown the stick up and shot oil everywhere? I'm guessing the extra oil was added after the engine blew, maybe by the stealership itself??? I'm at a loss here?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im with the rest of you on this, something doesn't add up. If the truck was driven for 4000miles wouldn't there of been some kind of blowby, wouldn't oil have gone up the dipstick tube and blown the stick up and shot oil everywhere? I'm guessing the extra oil was added after the engine blew, maybe by the stealership itself??? I'm at a loss here?

and with that much extra oil the power loss and reduced MPG would be crazy.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed! Blown heads gasket is the only thing that makes sense. He had 7 quarts of oil and drove it for 4000 miles. Shortly after 4k miles, he had a catastrophic failure of the head-gasket and 6 quarts of coolant mixed with the oil and his engine hydro locked.

To the OP, it's prob too late but remove your radiator cap and see if you see any oil residue on the underside of the cap. Oil mixing with coolant tends to leave a foamy residue.

I'm betting that the dark colored gunk in the top layer was a coolant/oil mix and the cause is a blown head gasket.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor911 is right on the money. When coolant mixes with oil, what you initially get is something that looks like a chocolate milkshake. But your truck sat for days, so those fluids separated just like oil and vinegar.

Have your dealer pull the heads. Do not accept the truck back into your custody until that's done. I'd insist on having the heads magnafluxed to make certain that they're not cracked.

This is warranty work, and it's on the dealer to provide dealer support under the provisions of the warranty.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts