6.2 Engine Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
let us know what you decide to do, paul stone. If you continue working with the dealer, send me your information in a pm and i'll see what i can do to help. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, vin, mileage, and servicing dealer info.

Crystal

yay crystal!!!

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You lost me... oil had to be drained to get sample. How much oil came out? did it smell like gas? I guess not because sample came back 99.5% oil. Now that oil is out and by now has drained passed piston rings (if truly locked), does it turn over? Is there oil on spark plugs? Was there metal in sample? Was there metal in pan?
This is not too much oil from oil guy... 4000 miles is too long to not see other issues.
Something isn't adding up here. Is the truck just sitting there and nobody knows anything? These are easy questions that you should already know the answers to.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You lost me... oil had to be drained to get sample. How much oil came out? did it smell like gas? I guess not because sample came back 99.5% oil. Now that oil is out and by now has drained passed piston rings (if truly locked), does it turn over? Is there oil on spark plugs? Was there metal in sample? Was there metal in pan?
This is not too much oil from oil guy... 4000 miles is too long to not see other issues.
Something isn't adding up here. Is the truck just sitting there and nobody knows anything? These are easy questions that you should already know the answers to.

Agreed. Too much oil would of locked it up way before 4k miles.

My suggestion was just an cya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Paul Stone

Reaction score
What news? Anything???

We are meeting tomorrow at the dealership to drain the oil and figure out how much is really in there. When we took the oil sample, we only drained enough for a small test tube. Hopefully we are able to find out what happened. I will report back.

OP
OP
P

Paul Stone

Reaction score
The first 6 qts that came out looked like band new oil (no sign of any blackness). I took a sample and am taking it to the lab today. At about the 6 qt mark, the color changed to black oil (it looked like the kind that we had previously tested). When we previously tested, we removed the oil filter and took oil from that location. When it was empty, we had 13.2 qts in buckets (far more than the recommended 7qts). So, now I am really confused. Was the clean oil always in there and just never circulated through the engine (remember I drove 4k miles since my last oil change)? Is, what looks like clean oil, something else that got into the mix when the engine failed? Did someone add oil after the engine blew? Or is something else going on?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It can't be just oil. Two reasons:
- That engine would never have gone 4,000 miles with over 13 quarts in it.
- If both fluids were both oil they'd have mixed. But they didn't mix, they separated like oil and vinegar does in a bottle of Italian salad dressing.

I wonder if the two different fluids smell differently.

Paul, depending upon what the test shows I'd ask them to check your oil pump.

Last edited:

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's strange on so many levels. I would have thought the new and old oils would have mixed. Especially with things like the crank going through it, and the natural affinity they would have for each other. Just more than a little bizarre,