4A/4H pulls to the left when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can say mine NEVER has actually pulled on me, or made me nervous that it was ready to. I can tell that it's a little heavy feeling when I'm on the throttle, and if I really punch it it tends to feel like it wants to over correct steering inputs slightly, but never did I feel like I had to correct the steering like in the old days. That definitely doesn't sound right from my experience with my truck. Mine just feels like a good FWD car when I'm gassing it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll try it on a road with no clear crown, but this happened the other day every single time whether or not TC was on. It was a hard and immediate pull to the left every time that would result in a lane change if the wheel isn’t actively corrected to the right. It was so apparent, which is why I wondered if it was abnormal because I feel like I would have noticed this before now.

I have noticed heavier steering before while in 4A, especially while turning. I have not noticed the wheel moving itself to the left while going straight. I did get new tires (KO2s) a month ago, but can’t see how a tire could be “bad” in a way that would cause this.

A defective tire can cause this concern. Have you tried rotating them between the front and back?

OP
OP
970rap

970rap

Reaction score
No, I haven't. What/how would a defective tire only show as an issue when the front is powered? It drives just fine, smooth and straight, outside of putting it in 4A.

Also, I took a brief look at the axle seals and didn't see anything that clearly indicated an issue, but it's also a little dirty down there from recent snow and I'm no mechanic. I actually just dropped this off at a dealership to be looked at.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, I haven't. What/how would a defective tire only show as an issue when the front is powered? It drives just fine, smooth and straight, outside of putting it in 4A.

Also, I took a brief look at the axle seals and didn't see anything that clearly indicated an issue, but it's also a little dirty down there from recent snow and I'm no mechanic. I actually just dropped this off at a dealership to be looked at.

Some tire defects only become apparent when torque is applied through the affected tire.

OP
OP
970rap

970rap

Reaction score
Gotcha. That seems like the most likely culprit all things considered. Hopefully we'll know soon.

OP
OP
970rap

970rap

Reaction score
Yes, tire pressures were equal. I got a call from the dealership late yesterday saying it was something to do with the IWE system, asking to keep it overnight, and it should be ready to go today. I was in the grocery store so I forgot to ask what, specifically, was the issue/being replaced but will find out when I pick it up.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, tire pressures were equal. I got a call from the dealership late yesterday saying it was something to do with the IWE system, asking to keep it overnight, and it should be ready to go today. I was in the grocery store so I forgot to ask what, specifically, was the issue/being replaced but will find out when I pick it up.

Good to hear, it just seemed so odd it would be that different from others.

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to me it sounds like one side of the front diff is not engaging thus tq steer to that degree. I would just take to the dealer.

OP
OP
970rap

970rap

Reaction score
Got another call from the dealership saying they fixed whatever they thought it was and got it put back together, but now the same problem is happening but in the other direction. They're going to continue troubleshooting. I advised them of the new tires, which would especially make sense now because maybe they put the wheels back on opposite of how it was when I brought it in.