Gen 3 Clunk Sound When Shifting to 4A or 4H From 2H on the Fly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfw62

Reaction score
When I shift my 2022 EB Raptor from 2H to either 4A or 4H on the fly I hear a clunk sound as it engages. Just one clunk and it seems fine but I would expect it to not make any noise. Is this clunk sound normal?

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you on or off the accelerator. I tend to let off the gas’s as it engages. But to hear metal parts moving…not unusual. But my radio is usually on, so I don’t detect it in mine.

OP
OP
dfw62

dfw62

Reaction score
Are you on or off the accelerator. I tend to let off the gas’s as it engages. But to hear metal parts moving…not unusual. But my radio is usually on, so I don’t detect it in mine.
My foot is still on the accelerator but steady state. Speed between 10 and 40 mph. I'll have to try it while letting off the accelerator to see if there is any difference.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Read your manual

The four-wheel drive mode control is on the instrument panel.
To select a four-wheel drive mode, press the four-wheel drive mode control button of the desired mode. You can select two-wheel drive high (2H), four-wheel drive high (4H), or four-wheel drive auto (4A) at a stop or while driving. Once the shift is complete, the instrument cluster display will then display the selected four-wheel drive mode. While shifts are in progress, the lights on the four-wheel drive control switch can flash and you could see messages in the instrument cluster display indicating that a shift is in progress or to release the accelerator pedal to improve shift performance.
Note: Momentarily releasing the accelerator pedal when a shift in progress message displays improves engagement and disengagement performance.

Note: Do not perform this operation when you have cruise control or trail control selected and active. The system may not shift as expected.
Note: Do not perform this operation if the rear wheels are slipping or while applying the accelerator pedal.
Note: You could hear some noise as the system shifts or engages, which is normal.

OP
OP
dfw62

dfw62

Reaction score
Read your manual

Donmatteo,

I actually did that this morning but thanks for cutting and pasting the info to the board. My post was due to my thinking the clunk I hear is a little more than to be expected. I was looking for others to share what they experience as normal noise and if they would call it a clunk type of sound.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is some noise (as the manual states) but the clunk you described is the transfer case which can be damaged over time with that sort of engagement. There is a difference between noise and a clunk.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Jen Too here. Lucille is as quiet as a church mouse going into 4a/4h, even in motion. Clunking sounds sub optimal, I’d get it looked at and don’t waste time, ask to take the tech for a test drive. Else they’ll check for DTC’s, find none and call it done.

RobSpring661

Reaction score
I think taking it in to the dealer is the right move , if anything it documents the issue. That way, when your truck is 1200 miles over the warranty mileage and the tranny grenades, you'll have some recourse! Lord knows how vehicles love to wait until they are juuuuust out of warranty!