4A/4H pulls to the left when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

970rap

Reaction score
I have a stock 802A Screw with the Torsen diff. Today I noticed that the truck consistently pulls hard to the left under medium to hard throttle while in 4A. This was happening on flat, slightly wet roads while going straight and with and without traction control on. When getting on the gas enough to cause a downshift it pulls hard enough to the left to move the red stripe on the wheel a good inch and I have to forcibly yank it to the right to stay in the lane. Tried it for 5 seconds in 4H and it happened as well. Haven't been able to confirm on dry pavement.

In the included video I get in the middle of the lane, take my hand off the wheel, and accelerate enough to cause a downshift. I feels worse than it looks, but you can see the wheel turning to the left on its own before I correct it back to the right.

Am I correct to assume this is an issue and not some sort of normal operation?

View media item 15550

Last edited:

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you look at the iwe or just make a video of your steering wheel? Seems like there may not be engagement on the passenger side iwe.

OP
OP
970rap

970rap

Reaction score
I've done nothing else. What would I be looking at/for?

OP
OP
970rap

970rap

Reaction score
No, it's called torque steer and it's normal for the vehicles with the Torsen. If you search around here, you can find plenty of people complaining about it. It's the price you pay for better off road performance.
I had considered that but just don't ever remember it doing this.

RR_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it's called torque steer and it's normal for the vehicles with the Torsen. If you search around here, you can find plenty of people complaining about it. It's the price you pay for better off road performance.

Yep. Mine does the same and it's a bit more pronounced than it was on my 2013 RAM 1500 but not bad. Like you said, it comes with the territory.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I noticed it slightly, but I have had several strong FWD cars over the years so I'm really used to it and didn't think much of it. My first was a tricked out '79 Ford Fiesta with an engine built with formula ford parts and nice suspension upgrades. If you punched it in 1st or 2nd it could change lanes without you ever having moved the steering wheel. Torque steering monster! It weighed nothing. One of the most fun to drive cars I ever owned, especially on dirt roads. Unfortunately I hit a pole in a parking lot while showing off my high speed J-Turns. It went 38 in reverse, but I never saw the one light pole with a concrete base and I caught with the front wheel right as I was 1/2 way through snapping it around.

It was so much fun being a young idiot! :confused:

Last edited:

Shaggy97

Reaction score
This started on my 2017 after a tire swap, ended up being a bad (brand new) BFG K02. Try swapping tires front to rear and see if anything changes/improves. Mine did NOT torque steer noticeably until after that tire swap.