4A mode: Pulls way to hard to the right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I had a IWE issue, but I drove the truck from work to make sure it was warmed up and didn't shut it down. Put it in 4A and put my phone on the ground to record a video of me "running over it". Both axles were spinning, took it out of 4A and the fronts were not spinning. I figured at this point that I didn't have an IWE issue, I could be wrong though.

In 4H, the differential will be spinning your front axle whether your hub is engaging or not.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 4H, the differential will be spinning your front axle whether your hub is engaging or not.
Yeah i see what you're saying, I was also trying to see if I had a differential issue as I had just gotten it replaced. I never had any IWE noises though, but it could have been still an issue at the hub.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does 4A power the front drive shaft if youre using zero gas pedal? I thought it had some kinda clutch in the transfer case to add power to the front as you got into the gas. The IWE activated would cause the axles and front drive shaft to spin even with zero power going to the front. Assuming 4A ever operates in zero power going to the front.

4H differing in that you are always 50/50 locked in.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does 4A power the front drive shaft if youre using zero gas pedal? I thought it had some kinda clutch in the transfer case to add power to the front as you got into the gas. The IWE activated would cause the axles and front drive shaft to spin even with zero power going to the front. Assuming 4A ever operates in zero power going to the front.

4H differing in that you are always 50/50 locked in.

4A should have the hubs locked at all times. Then it engages the diff when needed.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today it was raining so I decided to try 4A again and WTH this time it's not pulling sideways under acceleration. First time it has ever felt right. Now my curiosity is really piqued and I wanna find out whats happening here. The only thing I can think of thats changed is I had my truck in the shop recently...new turbos, cam phasers, valve covers. None of that should affect ther IWE operation though.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not kidding...my wheel isn't pulling sideways now. Its not stuck in 2wd either. I have no idea whats changed, but now it feels like how others have described as proper normal operation. I probably should try out 4H and 4L also...

Merman

Reaction score
I went back and read this thread again from the start. Someone had mismatched load ratings which, once corrected solved the problem. I just went out and checked mine and sure enough, I have one C rated tire and the rest E rated. This all started when i rotated the tires last. That was the first time i rotated them since i installed the new set of tires. Prior to rotating them i had matching E rated tires on the front. Now i have one C and one E. Which is correct, E or C? Maybe i should ask which comes on the truck from the factory?

Merman

Reaction score
Looks like either will work but the E rated tire is more robust. BTW, you guys rock. I don't think i wouldve ever figured out that this was the issue. I am fairly sure that this is the problem.

weakssauce

Reaction score
Not kidding...my wheel isn't pulling sideways now. Its not stuck in 2wd either. I have no idea whats changed, but now it feels like how others have described as proper normal operation. I probably should try out 4H and 4L also...
lmao take the win!