4A mode: Pulls way to hard to the right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a pull hard enough that it will jerk the steering wheel and send me to the shoulder if im not ready. Definitely cant drive one handed in 4A mode. The only way I can use it is both hands on the wheel and turn "into" it when I'm accelerating. Also notable is that if I'm intentionally steering right and accelerating it feels normal then.

Hburgrap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something is wrong with your truck. Mine pulls just enough that I notice. And I notice lots of little stuff.
My curse as well. “What was that, there it is again“! Im convinced something is up all the time

Mine is definitely different in 4a. Nothing crazy but different.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I looked at my tire tread....

the inside of my front wheels is lower and the noise is increasing when I drive. guess its time for an alignment.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Its a pull hard enough that it will jerk the steering wheel and send me to the shoulder if im not ready. Definitely cant drive one handed in 4A mode. The only way I can use it is both hands on the wheel and turn "into" it when I'm accelerating. Also notable is that if I'm intentionally steering right and accelerating it feels normal then.

Ok. How does it drive, starting from stopped, in a straight line, in Sport mode, at WOT for a short distance to the shift into 2nd gear, on CLEAN, dry, and FLAT pavement in 4H as compared to 4A?

The reason I emphasize CLEAN and FLAT is that in Texas (especially Texas), the roads are always covered with dust and get polished into slippery glazed condition AND tend to sink somewhat in the wheel tracks such that you will feel odd pulls left (and right) and wheel-slip while accelerating hard. As the front wheels run on these slippery uneven areas, the varying torque loads are strong enough to flex the suspension bushing and cause pretty strong pulling sensations.

If on a prepared surface like a drag strip there is high grip such that the difference in front half-shaft length and/or diameter will also result in a slight offset of the steering wheel as the shafts twist at different amounts, but it is usually only in that instant before the vehicle gets moving. As soon as it moves a few feet the shaft(s) rebound to their static or untwisted condition.

If your truck pulls the same in both 4A and 4H, you may have an issue with a specific suspension bushing broken, damaged, loose OR a problem with the electric steering rack. I know for fact in another of my Fords (FocusRS), the electric rack controller has a “PDC” Pull Drift Compensation function that causes the vehicle to steer itself which seriously interferes with maximum acceleration and pulls very strongly both left and right. I/we disable PDC via FORScan software to eliminate the shenanigans.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to take the truck on a long trip; so I'll do another detailed write up when I return. Right now I'm only driving a few miles to work in bumper to bumper traffic so its hard to play around. The times I switch on the 4A i get tired of if quickly and switch back to 2wd

SWilms

Reaction score
I'm about to take the truck on a long trip; so I'll do another detailed write up when I return. Right now I'm only driving a few miles to work in bumper to bumper traffic so its hard to play around. The times I switch on the 4A i get tired of if quickly and switch back to 2wd
i’m curious if you found anything out? My 2017 also pulls pretty hard to the right in just 4a. I just got the truck aligned today and it still pulls. Truck drives perfectly straight in 2h (I haven’t tried 4h yet). I’m guessing something with the electrical steering or front differential maybe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i’m curious if you found anything out? My 2017 also pulls pretty hard to the right in just 4a. I just got the truck aligned today and it still pulls. Truck drives perfectly straight in 2h (I haven’t tried 4h yet). I’m guessing something with the electrical steering or front differential maybe.
No. Still the same. It pulls more than I think it should. Pretty much useless. I cant seem to find anything out on the internet; and I'm always too busy to deal with it.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess it could be tires and tire pressures. Ive had different levels of pulling over the years on my G2. When brand new i could take my hand off the wheel and give it the beans dead straight. At 38K miles it pulls pretty hard to the right, but using it different times with different tires and tread depths its been somewhere else on the spectrum (road surface likely matters too). I checked that both axles are engaged with a video camera, and they both spin. I also didn't have weird actuator noises, the CVs aren't leaking, zero noise from the front end at all. It kinda reduced the value of me having that torsen so Im glad I don't have it on the 2023.

I would check your tread depths/tire pressures for consistency. Do you notice different severities after a tire rotation?

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires, pressure, road surface, etc...I've messed with all of it. Still pulls sideways under throttle in 4A. I'm sure its not normal or more people would be complaining. Betting its something to do with the front diff since its only pulling under throttle.